changing wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
looking for all and any input on Froling S3.
my Empyre Elite 100 indoor boiler has sprung leaks after 8 years
the manufacturer "ProFab" has gone bankrupt a few years back im f#$^d for any parts and waranties
looking to go with a Froling S3 Turbo and 540gal storage
didnt have storage and used about 12-15 face cords per winter here in Hull Quebec, a few mins away from Ottawa Ontario Canada

please give me you input/impressions good or bad? experiences? how much face cords do you use? average temps where you live?

this winter we only had 3 or 4 nights at minus 20 celcius so it has been a decent warm winter
usually we get minus 20's even below 30 Celcius from mid january to late february and sometimes in march
im looking to reduce my wood consumption by going with the S3 Turbo 30kw and storage
or giving up on wood and going propane, just scared of propane pricing at .70 cents per litre

Last edited:
Sorry about your warranty/parts situation...I'm not going to be much help with your main questions though...others with more knowledge of the Froling will be along shortly...in the meantime, please remove any colorful language from your post...surprised that got through the site filters...

looking for all and any input on Froling S3.
my Empyre Elite 100 indoor boiler has sprung leaks after 8 years
the manufacturer "ProFab" has gone bankrupt a few years back im f#$^d for any parts and waranties
looking to go with a Froling S3 Turbo and 540gal storage
didnt have storage and used about 12-15 face cords per winter here in Hull Quebec, a few mins away from Ottawa Ontario Canada

please give me you input/impressions good or bad? experiences? how much face cords do you use? average temps where you live?

this winter we only had 3 or 4 nights at minus 20 celcius so it has been a decent warm winter
usually we get minus 20's even below 30 Celcius from mid january to late february and sometimes in march
im looking to reduce my wood consumption by going with the S3 Turbo 30kw and storage
or giving up on wood and going propane, just scared of propane pricing at .70 cents per litre

I can't estimate consumption for you, but will the boiler and storage be in the house you want to heat or in an outbuilding?

No matter how well you insulate the storage / lines / boiler there will be some heat loss there that is best utilized if all that is in the house you want to heat. I have my boiler and 1000g storage in a 24 x48 outbuilding about 90' from the house and the heat loss from everything in that outbuilding will keep it anywhere from 48-58F depending on outside temps and no I don't have any heat emitters or other sources of heat in that building. It's not completely lost heat as it keeps our cats warm and when I fire or clean the boiler it's comfortable but that loss is using wood that I wouldn't be if everything was in the heated envelope.

I can't estimate consumption for you, but will the boiler and storage be in the house you want to heat or in an outbuilding?

No matter how well you insulate the storage / lines / boiler there will be some heat loss there that is best utilized if all that is in the house you want to heat. I have my boiler and 1000g storage in a 24 x48 outbuilding about 90' from the house and the heat loss from everything in that outbuilding will keep it anywhere from 48-58F depending on outside temps and no I don't have any heat emitters or other sources of heat in that building. It's not completely lost heat as it keeps our cats warm and when I fire or clean the boiler it's comfortable but that loss is using wood that I wouldn't be if everything was in the heated envelope.
boiler is/will be in garage and garage is attached to the house

What's the area of the house, how many floors and what are the heat emitters?
im in the Capital area, Ottawa Ontario Canada
house is 2500 sq ft bungalow
1st floor is all in floor radiant pex @140 degrees between joists, with sheetmetal plates and cavity insulated /sealed with foil, end of joist have 5 to 8 inches of spray foam inuslation.
basement is about 1200 sq feet of baseboard heaters @180 degrees, but changing to in floor radiant pex @140 degrees in about 2 years
garage basement 34x 40 ft has hydronic fan heater@180 degrees and garage 34x40ft has 1 hydronic fan heater @180 degrees on same loop.
it has been a decent winter sor far, minus 10 to 15 celcius except for this weekend it has been minus 21 with the windchill minus 30