Chase???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wtrfwl havoc

Feb 4, 2017
Kansas
Hey all. I am getting ready to build a house. Looking to put an elite 44 from fireplace xtroidinair in it. I had them pour a bump out in the basement wall for the fireplace. From there the chimney will go up through the chase on the exterior of the house. It will go from the basement up the side of the house. The interior wall it will be against is a main room vaulted ceiling so no attic space against the chase really. It will be 25-30 feet of pipe. The company I am looking to have install the fireplace says I need to insulate the chase. It takes air cooled pipe. My worries are if I insulate the chase walls if I will have condensation issues. I would think that chase should be able to breathe? Any recommendations on insulating or not insulating the chase. I haven't been able to find much on insulating chases using air cooled pipe? Any advice would be appreciated!

It does use air cooled pipe. It also requires 2 cooling vents on an exterior wall, also the blower will be mounted on an exterior wall.

The chase should be insulated up to the fire stop, or draftstop. This is to be at ceiling height in the chase. The top of the draftstop as well as the EXTERIOR walls of the chase. If it’s a cathedral ceiling, I believe the chase is required to be draftstoped every 8’.

So the entire chase should be insulated on the exterior walls all the way up the chase? So do you not insulate between the house and chase? I take that back the chase will pass along an attic space once it goes above main floor. So it will go straight up from the basement to the outside of the house along the main floor then pass by the attic, but once it exits the basement the chimney is on the outside of the house. If I insulate the fire stop at the main floor where it leaves the house I wouldn't have to insulate the basement wall correct?

Here is the floor plan so you have a better idea what I am talking about

Attachments

• Chase???
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Chase???
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 84
You will insulate the walls surrounding the fireplace up the fire stop. The top of the firestop would be insulated up to the attic insulation shield. From that point up you would insulate the house wall of the chase.

Builders all too often don’t insulate around the Fireplace, instead they just insulate the house wall. Leaving the entire cantilevered chase exposed to the cold. It makes for a very cold Fireplace!

I understand insulating all the walls up to the firestop, but the fireplace will be in the basement surrounded by earth and concrete so would that still be necessary? People don't really insulate basement walls around here. Where I am getting confused is above the firestop. It doesn't pass through an attic or anything just straight along the side of the house, so there wouldn't be a attic insulation shield would there? Above the firestop would you insulate the exterior walls of the chase only? Or the exterior walls of the house? Really my confusion is above the first firestop where the chase is framed. Sorry for my ignorance. I just want to make sure it gets done right

On the firestop there will need to be insulation. The shield is to prevent insulation from contacting the pipe. The exterior walls don’t need to be insulated from this point up. Just the front wall for the chase, that is the house wall.
Insulation is important in the basement, very important. The earth is a giant heat sink, sucking much of the heat from the fireplace into the earth.

You also have the challenge of getting the cooling vents and the blower to daylight with a setup like you are describing.

Last edited by a moderator: