Cheap Energy, Economic Growth & Climate Change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gonna be the haves (with PV) against the have-nots (those who want PV).

Of course, there are the roof 'renters', companies that pay the upfront and sell the power, and pay you rent to use your roof. I suspect there will be a variety of deals to be had for folks without the upfront cash...mostly private.

Of course, there are the roof 'renters', companies that pay the upfront and sell the power, and pay you rent to use your roof. I suspect there will be a variety of deals to be had for folks without the upfront cash...mostly private.

I've got some friends with roofs and I've debated that thought... My friends can usually find the $$$ to pay the electric bill, but never enough to buy a PV system.

The MN legislature years ago passed a law with the effect of banning new coal-fired electricity in MN, including electricity furnished from power plants outside of MN. That law was recently struck down as an impermissible burden on interstate commerce. The commentary is that there will be no effect from striking the law down because new coal-fired electricity is just about, if not completely, impossible due to economic factors favoring alternative energy sources and stricter rules on emissions. Also old coal generating plants are being phased out rather than upgraded. I suspect that natural gas will replace some of this generating capacity, but I also suspect that natural gas pricing volatility, use of more natural gas for liquification, and favorable economics for alternative energy will result in a greater push in the alternative energy direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.