Cheat River Users (Sounds like a support group!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gymrat0663

Feb 2, 2012
South Central Pennsylvania
I tested and used Cheat RIvers last year with good results so purchasing a ton of them this year to use as shoulder pellets was a no brainer. They were available at my local TSC for $204 so this was working out well or so I thought.

However, I have found as I've been opening different bags that about half of the bags are much lighter in color than what I am used to seeing with Cheat Rivers. When I dump a bag of the lighter colored pellets into my stove I lose a considerable amount of heat. I've not checked at the stove to see how much, but it affects the stove room temps by about 3-4 degrees.

This is my first full year of burning and this is my first experience with pellets off of the same skid giving such diverse results in my stove. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the color of the pellets would be different and why they would yield such different results in my stove?

Thanks for any input you may have. I continue to appreciate all I learn here - even the stuff about pellets stoves! >>

Status
Not open for further replies.