Check Valves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I know there are various types, but I don't know when to use which. I currently have a Taco flow check valve on each of zones. I'm going to have add some more to prevent flow where it shouldn't in a multi boiler setup, but not sure of which type to pick. Can anyone point me to a primer on the subject? Thanks.

I know there are various types, but I don't know when to use which. I currently have a Taco flow check valve on each of zones. I'm going to have add some more to prevent flow where it shouldn't in a multi boiler setup, but not sure of which type to pick. Can anyone point me to a primer on the subject? Thanks.

Here is a 1 hour You Tube on Heat Migration that I presented recently. I'd be glad to send the ppt slides.

A couple basic tips:

Stay away from swing checks, they need high flow rates to open fully and assure "rattle free" operation. Their long stroke from full open to close can cause water hammer, under some conditions.
Great for sump pumps :)

Size a check by flow rate, Cv not pipe size. Same concept, you need flow to fully open the check.

Hydronic checks with cone shaped plug and soft seats are best. They "pop' or crack at 1/2 psi and will work well with variable speed pumping. They also provide a "bubble proof seal"

Plenty choices out there for sweat and threaded hydronic checks.

Reactions: woodsmaster
Status
Not open for further replies.