Chemical smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jesseboothva33

Dec 20, 2022
So I just bought a old buck insert wood stove and I started it and it smelled like chemicals. It's used and I've been reading that the paint needs to cure but you would think with it being used it wouldn't need to cure. The draft is great produced great heat. The smell got to where my wife wanted me to put it out so I did. What could this be? From what I've looked up it's a 26000 or a 27000 series.

The paint should be fully broken in unless someone repainted it. If that happened, then it could be that they used an incompatible paint or one that is not high temperature. If it's not the paint then it's hard to say exactly what is causing the smell, but look at the fan area and wiring to make sure that the insulation is not getting cooked. Other than that, try to locate where the smell is coming from. Sometimes children stuff toys down a vent and if the toy is plastic, it can really stink when heated up.