Chimney Cap Stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KevinM

Hearth Supporter
Jan 15, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Tried cleaning chimney this afternoon since it was above freezing and not raining.

Could not get the cap off. Need to twist it to clear peg as shown in attached photo.

Tried a strap wrench above and below the peg and a long screw driver through the grill above without any success.

Tapping it with the screw driver handle releases a bit of black dust from the joint near the middle of the picture.

Any ideas to un-stick the cap? I have never had a problem removing it before.

Kevin.

Attachments

• Chimney Cap Stuck
    Chimney Cap L.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 193
Tried cleaning chimney this afternoon since it was above freezing and not raining.

Could not get the cap off. Need to twist it to clear peg as shown in attached photo.

Tried a strap wrench above and below the peg and a long screw driver through the grill above without any success.

Tapping it with the screw driver handle releases a bit of black dust from the joint near the middle of the picture.

Any ideas to un-stick the cap? I have never had a problem removing it before.

Kevin.
Those caps are a real pita. They stick all the time

Thats what I'd try. Play it over the top to try to expand the metal just enough to let it slide. I'd have gloves on in case it's too hot.

It is glued on with creosote. It doesn't take much of anything to do it. It is a terrible design

With significant torching and wiggling and some grunting finally got it loosened and then off.

Spent a while with a brass brush cleaning the mating surfaces so it easily turned to lock back on.

I bet a wax coating could help too. Maybe a dry lube... something that could lubricate, yet also keep any creosote from working it's way into the joint.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I like the lube idea. A thin layer of Never Sieze - maybe the nickle based for stainless.

In addition, I would grind off those pegs and use three self tapping stainless screws instead - The disadvantage is someone could argue you are modifying the manufacturer's design.