Chimney Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSisco

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2007
Northern NY
I'm new to the whole woodburning thing, we just relocated to northern New York after 8 years in south Texas. I recently had my chimney cleaned and caps put on the two. my father-in-law told me that it is a bad idea to have a cap installed on a chimney that is venting a wood stove, he said that it could cause a chimney fire. Is there any truth to this. I would have thought that the chimney sweep would have warned me about this before installing one.

The previous owner never had one installed and used a Hearthstone H-1 for years. I just had it replaced with a Lopi republic 1750. Do any of the experts on here think this will cause a problem?

Thanks in advance.

as long as you burn relatively clean, and keep the cap clear of creosote buildup - I don't think you are adding any additional risk of a chimney fire. The cap also helps keep rain and snow (and critters) out of the flue as well.

Here in Ca in the Sierra they are REQUIRED. You just need to keep them ( and the rest of the chimney) clean and keep the stove under control and you wont have any fires.

No there is no truth in that a cap keeps out the rain and any birds but keep a good
eye on it thru the burning seson for gunk build-up. :shut:

You guys are fast

I have a cap on mine that was a total new install last year..I like it..A neighbor just down the road does not have one

Status
Not open for further replies.