Chimney Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I've been busy still trying to get all my wood processed so haven't yet gotten the chimney cleaned but I'm getting close (I hope). As you see from my avatar, my chimney goes into a T into a liner in the old utility chimney with an extension down to the existing cleanout. I'm hoping cleaning that part won't be hard but my question is do I need to dismantle the part you see in the picture or does creosote not collect that close to the stove?

If that does need to be cleaned, it would seem it would be easier to take it apart and clean it outside that removing the top of the stove as i would still have that 90 degree bend to deal with.

You definitely need to clean that connector pipe. You will be surprised at the soot that builds up in it. You are right it is much easier to just take the pipe outside and brush it out.

BrotherBart said:
You definitely need to clean that connector pipe. You will be surprised at the soot that builds up in it. You are right it is much easier to just take the pipe outside and brush it out.

good advice
i wrap the end in a trash bag for a clean carry out the door, sweep pipe outside out of the way

Status
Not open for further replies.