Chimney closer to house ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce P

Aug 10, 2015
Whiting NJ
Is it better to have a chimney closer to the side of the house and use a shorter pipe out the side with two 30's around a six inch soffet or have the pipe be 8 or more inches off the side and go straight up with a longer pipe out the side ? Does it matter if the pipe is 6" or 8" . Also can you run an adapter for stove with a 6" flue into an 8" pipe and chimney ? Is this better than a 6" all the way ? thanks

If possible avoid the elbows. It will be easier to clean, more rigid and should cost less too. Note that some chimney mfg. do not allow their 30* chimney elbows to be used outdoors.

The best installation is with the pipe diameter matched to the flue requirement for the stove. Most typically this is 6" round, all the way from the stove to the chimney cap.

What stove is this for? Why the concern about 8"?

just wondering if I go with a stove that requires 8" pipe and want to switch it out in the future to a stove which uses 6" would I have to change out the whole system ?

Depends on the setup. It might would still draft ok unless the chimney system was short or with too many elbows or dealing with negative pressure. What stove will this be for?

Right. I would go with the Jotul and never look back.

Reactions: Bruce P and bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.