Chimney Confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyL

Oct 27, 2015
Quebec Canada
I'm looking to buy a pellet stove to replace my wood stove, I can't take the dirt anymore!
So I've been looking at brand X (to prevent going in a different direction) due to budget limitations and I called the makers of said product about using my existing chimney for the pellet venting. I have a 6" ID double wall that goes straight up thru the roof since my stove is in the middle of the house on the mainfloor, it's a bungalow by the way.
I was supplied the instructions which clearly states how to hook it up to an Existing Class A chimney. All I would need is a flue connector to make the transition from 4" to 6" and of course the need pellet pipe and T from the stove. I'll need to use two 45's to place the stove where it needs to be.
So I'm thinking easy cheesy right? Well when I called the local vendor of the stove I was told it's not going to work and bla bla blah..... I ABSOLUTLeY needed to line my chimney.
So now I'm wondering why would the manufacture tell me one thing and the dealer another other than to sell parts!!!
I found this page and it made me wonder who's telling the truth. http://www.hearthtools.com/install/pellet.html

So what's your opinion ?

I assume your talking about Englander.

I had one vented in 8x8 clay flue and it worked fine.

Believe they still state ok to vent into appropriate sized chimney.

My Serenity pellet stove has 3" pellet pipe for a bit over four feet then transitions via an adapter to an existing 6" class A chimney through the outside wall. There is maybe ten ft. of chimney on the outside. I am happy with the performance of this setup. I think you should be able to transition to an existing class A without an additional liner.

Reactions: Cory S
I have a st croix which uses a 4 in pipe hooked to a 7 inch class a Stainless Steel vent.
Works well no condensation or creosote yet, I burn corn and it has put pin holes in the vent cap. Keep thinking that someday I'll line it but haven't done that yet.

I'm looking to buy a pellet stove to replace my wood stove, I can't take the dirt anymore!
So I've been looking at brand X (to prevent going in a different direction) due to budget limitations and I called the makers of said product about using my existing chimney for the pellet venting. I have a 6" ID double wall that goes straight up thru the roof since my stove is in the middle of the house on the mainfloor, it's a bungalow by the way.
I was supplied the instructions which clearly states how to hook it up to an Existing Class A chimney. All I would need is a flue connector to make the transition from 4" to 6" and of course the need pellet pipe and T from the stove. I'll need to use two 45's to place the stove where it needs to be.
So I'm thinking easy cheesy right? Well when I called the local vendor of the stove I was told it's not going to work and bla bla blah..... I ABSOLUTLeY needed to line my chimney.
So now I'm wondering why would the manufacture tell me one thing and the dealer another other than to sell parts!!!
I found this page and it made me wonder who's telling the truth. http://www.hearthtools.com/install/pellet.html

So what's your opinion ?
Mine goes into the pipe I had for my coal stove...6 inch all fuel thru the wall and about 10 ft up outside. Works great 5a2e1b28afc0997adf9b84a6b93c5162.jpg
80ad8c976633d8302916720be1553812.jpg

Reactions: Cory S
Does he by chance sell the liner kit? :rolleyes:

Dan

I hate it when you rub it in my face!!

I need a new pic of the dog.
Womaus, dang man I need to find you a stove ! Lol . We used to get so heated out of the room when we had the coal stove, and the dog would still stay there

Womaus, dang man I need to find you a stove ! Lol . We used to get so heated out of the room when we had the coal stove, and the dog would still stay there

Someday we'll meet up. But probably hate each other...

I know I will.

Here's how my Harman P61A transitions to my previous 6" stove pipe. Works phenomenal.

Piping1.JPG
Harman1.JPG

Reactions: Pete Zahria

did the vendor give any explanation as to why it wouldn't work? or did he just say "cant do that"?

our units can be vented into a 6 inch flue (heck mine at home is vented that way and its predecessor was as well) have not had a single issue with that setup in the 11 seasons ive been running a pellet stove in it.

granted now, im biased (as I am a manufacturer) but I'd take more stock in a manufacturer's information over a vendor's after all most codes specify "follow manufacturers instructions" not "follow the vendors instructions"

Reactions: Pete Zahria
I was disappointed that I didn't get any feedback thru e-mail notification, so I thought I'd take a look this morning.
Yes the vendor sells liner kits! The reason he gave is there would be not enough draft due to the large pipe....
Actually 2 other stores that specialize in "stoves" said the same thing!!!
I was curious to why since the pellet stove is a forced system, called the maker of brand X and told it would be fine.
Mike I really appreciate your input since you ARE the manufacturer and it puts my mind at ease.

I have a 1500 sq.ft bungalow but I want more BTU rather than less. Looks, well I like cabinet style because
I want to fill the least possible (100-120lbs). The whole reason for getting away from wood in the first place is to simplify my life.

So make some suggestions of models and I'm pretty sure Tom's going to say 25-PAH! lol

As a side note this unit will more than likely end up in my garage next year if all goes well when funds are better and a new unit in the house.....

Thx in advance for your help!

Last edited:
I have a PAH connected to a 6 inch SS lined flue currently and have had exactly no issues with it since installation in 2009.

flue systems larger than 6 inch would want to reline but a 6 incher is not an issue with that stove, if it were I suspect I would have been having issues with mine at home

I have a PAH connected to a 6 inch SS lined flue currently and have had exactly no issues with it since installation in 2009.

flue systems larger than 6 inch would want to reline but a 6 incher is not an issue with that stove, if it were I suspect I would have been having issues with mine at home
Since I'm in Canada is Canadian tire the only retailer that sell your products? I don't see the PHA on their site.

So what's your opinion ?

Have you seen the floor on some of the pics on this thread ?

::-)

Another question for ya, how come you folks don't list product by BTU values?

because we list "output" values in BTU ratings as listed by EPA test results, while many manufacturers list based on "input" values based on how much fuel they can shove through the feed system so the BTU numbers on our stoves by comparison look anemic by comparison.

shopping strictly by BTU's isn't really the best way to size a unit to a home anyway

I lined my"A" chimney with 4"ss. Love it. Easy maintainance, excellent performance going on eight years and no worries about cracking. Well worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.