Chimney Liner and Removing Clay Tiles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VASteve

Feb 2, 2023
Round Hill VA
I finally have my wood stove installed, but the inspector recommended I have a liner installed. I realize this is the right thing to do to avoid a chimney and house fire, but the install quote is very expensive, so I'm currently considering my options. I currently have an 8x13 clay tile liner (Inside is about 7x12) about 27' from the cleanout to the top. I need to run a 6" pipe and the inspector said it will need to be insulated. Is breaking the tile out the only option here to make this chimney meet current code? If I break the tile out myself it will help with the cost; however, I'm not sure it's worth it since the tools are about $200 to rent. I consider myself handy (had a home repair business years ago) and I don't mind being on a ladder.

Are there any other options here without breaking the liner out?

In lieu of a round liner an ovalized liner can be installed. This can be insulated on site. There is rigid, pre insulated liner (duraliner) if it's a straight shot down. This is available in oval pipe.

Reactions: newfire
That sounds like it might be a good solution. It is a straight shot down, but I will need a T-fitting to out to the wood stove and into the 6" double wall stove pipe. Would that still work? Will it meet codes and be safe if I install it directly into the existing clay liner with insulation around it?

Yes, they make a 6" round tee snout for either type of install. With insulation it will meet code and be safe.

Depending on the roofline and how high it is to get above the top of the chimney, a ladder may not do it. I am in a similar situation and no ladder will help me getting a liner into the flue easily as the top of my chimney is about 4-5’ above the top of the roof with a fairly steep pitch. I am planning either a scissor lift or scaffolding tied off to the chimney to be secure enough so I can wrestle the liner in. Based on videos and posts here, it’s more than cumbersome to have the liner up there and feeding it down the flue. Stay safe up there and make sure you either build a platform or go my route to make it safer. Also clip on as well.

What do you consider very expensive and is this Insert an EPA Certified unit? If it is, keep in mind that you get a 30% tax credit on Materials and Labor, that might soften the financial blow a bit

What do you consider very expensive and is this Insert an EPA Certified unit? If it is, keep in mind that you get a 30% tax credit on Materials and Labor, that might soften the financial blow a bit
Personnally I think the tax credit is increasing quotes from these guys. I got a quote for $5,750 with parts only coming to $2k. So $3700 for a days work??? I want that job.

Personnally I think the tax credit is increasing quotes from these guys. I got a quote for $5,750 with parts only coming to $2k. So $3700 for a days work??? I want that job.
That does seem to be happening in some cases.

I just paid $350 for a transmission fluid change (at the dealership) It was $250, 30k miles ago. Inflation and labor shortages are real. I wish my salary changed 1/3 that percentage in that amount of time.