Q&A Chimney Liner - Varying prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My husband and I rent a historic cottage which has a beautiful, but old stone fireplace. We have a wood stove for heat and need to line the chimney with stainless steel flex pipe. My husband found some of this pipe, this particular kind rated for up to 1400 degrees F., for a great price of $4.79 per foot. We are concerned that it is safe for lining the chimney, since the estimates we got from stove stores and chimney cleaners was much higher...$30 per foot.

Answer:

The chimney sweeps could have been talking about flexible pipe...or about an instlaled price which is much higher than the material cost.

There are also many different grades and thicknesses of stainless steel single wall pipe.

The price you got sounds like a "wholesale to the public" cost, which is surely attractive if the material is rated for your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.