Chimney pipe in framed chase, test run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA452

Jan 8, 2023
PA
We're putting in a two wood stoves in our new home build. The chimney chase is wood framed, going to be trimmed out in stone on the outside and in the living room. My builder and his crew got all the class A chimney pipe in. I helped my builder put the last of it in this morning.

I have one of the stoves now. I suggested that we get some stove pipe and hook it up now temporary just to try it out before closing the chase up to make sure the chimney pipe is all good to go. My builder doesn't think that's necessary.

How important would a test of that sort be at this stage? I guess I just don't like that we're going to be sealing it all up and won't be able to see any potential problems when we do go to use the stove otherwise. But then again, maybe there's very little I'm likely to see without more long-term use too. I don't know.

TQC43BP.jpgULTsmUz.jpg

Last edited:
It was suggested here by the wise ones to do so on our build in the Northwoods, which I did. In the unlikely event of any issues, it will be easier to spot and rectify before sealing it up...

I have some questions/observations on the chimney pipe. Why is the chimney thimble so high? It looks like it is cutting the combustibles clearance a little tight. I would lower it so that if in the future someone connects with a single-wall stove pipe, the clearances are still good, but I am not sure of the planned finishing details without the thimble installed. It could be ok. Also, it looks like there are two chimney systems, one for the basement too. The right chimney appears to be leaning at the top. It should be plumb, but maybe they ran them too close to each other and had to separate them at the top to accommodate the flashing. Will the chase be insulated before sealing it up? Did they do a fire break with an attic insulation seal at the top of the chase?

I actually asked my builder that exact question about the height of the thimble, why so high. He was checking clearances between that pipe and the framing above it, seemed like it would work but it was a little close to spec. I said something about bringing it down and he said it's supposed to be high... Is that nonsensical?

On the lean of the right pipe, I think they might have leaned it a little to get separation at the top like you said. Could that lead to a problem? Couple pics I had of the outside below, but they aren't a great angle.

Insulation, to be honest I'm not entirely sure yet how that works with the chase, if they insulate the chase or essentially leave the chase out in the cold. They do have fire breaks, I think three of them.

76RcTAu.jpgEZzAIEF.jpg

The stove pipe should have 2-3' rise before the thimble. Looks like there's about 4' but that is just eyeballing it.
Looks like they ran the basement flue too close to the other and had to compensate at the top.
My preference would be for an insulated chase to keep the chimneys warmer but this is your call. At the least, the interior of the chase behind the stove should be insulated.

PS: I don't see a need to do a test run unless you want to do a few break-in fires and bake the paint.

Last edited:
Actually looks like over 5' of height from the stove to the thimble. That's a 4' section of pipe right below the thimble and then another 1' and a bit. And the stove should ultimately sit a couple inches lower than it appears there in the end.

Do you think it's ok that they leaned the longer pipe like that to get separation up top?

My builder and his crew installed the pipe. He's an old school guy, been building houses like 40+ years, so he's always pretty confident his way is good. They've put in chimney pipe many times before, but it's not their primary expertise, so always interested in feedback from others. Having chimney pipe in a wood-framed chase worries me, so I want to make sure this stuff is right.

If you meet your clearances, having pipe in a chase is no issue. Correctly install pipe with the sections locked and banded is not going anywhere.

Somewhere you'll need to insulate to the exterior, where you do that depends.

I was looking at it briefly with my builder tonight. We are going to swap some pieces around to move the thimble down about a foot.