Chip in harman glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

miteclipse

Burning Hunk
Mar 8, 2013
Hughesville, MD
Are you referring to the small, brown indication in the center of the pic?
There are NO embers in a pellet stove that would do that, only "fly" ash.
A chip like that can only be caused by impact by a tool or something very hard.
It doesn't appear to go all the way thru, so I wouldn't be too alarmed.
Keep an eye on it. If it becomes a crack & starts to propagate, you
will need to replace the "glass."

Correct the small brown dot. Could have been something in the pellet that got blown. Dont recall hitting it with a tool. It doesnt go all the way through. Is it possible to fill it with some type of resin, similiar to those car windshield repair kits?

Last edited:
I would leave it be.

No repairing it. It is actually ceramic glass aka pyroceram

Thanks all. I will just monitor it. In case I do have to replace it in the future, anyone recommend which website to purchase from based on your own experience? P68

Make sure you get gasket for it too when you replace. Look into new hardware (hardware store). I replaced my old BK King years ago before I switched. The surface was peppled. Your brown spot looks like somthing that will wipe off with wet paper-towel.

Make sure you get gasket for it too when you replace. Look into new hardware (hardware store). I replaced my old BK King years ago before I switched. The surface was peppled. Your brown spot looks like somthing that will wipe off with wet paper-towel.

Tried wet paper towel. Some of the brown came off but its definitely more of a scuff mark than chip, just very little tad rough.

Tried wet paper towel. Some of the brown came off but its definitely more of a scuff mark than chip, just very little tad rough.
Try some straight alcohol.

What does the alcohol do? I suppose rubbing alcohol can't be used.
Rubbing alcohol is fine, 99% if you can get it. It will clean your chip.

Rubbing alcohol is fine, 99% if you can get it. It will clean your chip.

I have 70%. Was able to turn off the stove and let it cool down. I applied some alcohol and it didn't do much at first. I kept looking at the "chip" and the more I looked at it, it seemed odd. So I took my fingernail and scratched it. Low and behold, the so called chip was a hard brown dot and no longer exists. Thanks for the tip.