Choosing a Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Under the Trees

Nov 1, 2022
NJ
So, I have a 1700 square foot bilevel home with a slab floor and brick fireplace. I would like to get a wood stove and run the pipe up my existing fireplace. I am trying to decide which stove to get. I have considered the following: A Vermont Castings Resolute (older style that could be converted to coal), and a Resolute Acclaim. I like that it has a top loading ability, griddle on top, and the ability to hold 16" pieces of wood. I am also considering a Jotul F3CB or a Jotul 8 with 6" piping. Other thoughts would be a VC Intrepid or a Jotul F400. I am not sure if the F400 would need to be converted to 6" piping, though. My chimney height is about 24'. Out of all of these I am leaning toward a rebuilt F3CB. Any other things I shoud consider. I am not thinking that I will heat the whole house completely with the stove and I don't want the heat to be too intense in the 16 by 24 family room that the stove will be installed in. Please let me know if the F3CB is perhaps the best choice, and in particular if I should look at something else. I didn see a beautiful restored Cauley Lamay 400 that I thought would have a simlar firebox and like it a lot, except for the inability to see the fire as much. I am thinking I need to use 6" piping. Ideally if I could find a great Jotul F400 and it was able to be installed that would be my choice. Some have said that the F3CB is a better design than the Resolute and/or will require less pricey maintenance. In any case I want an older, adequate stove and not a newer oen with a catalytic crap.

I suspect you are going too small. Is the fireplace on the lower level? If so, go for the F400. It's a better-made stove than the F3CB with a longer burntime. Definitely pass on the Acclaim, it was a low point in VC history.

Have you considered an insert instead? There are many modern stoves and inserts without a catalyst. The F400 is one of them. They are definitely not crap. If cost is the real issue, look at Drolet and Century inserts.

Regardless of choice, all stoves need fully seasoned firewood to perform well. The quality of fuel is important for successful heating with a wood stove.

I am on a budget. The F400 is no longer available. I was looking at a vintage Vermont Castings model 1977, a little smaller than the Defiant (as well) but I don't think I can get it to work with 6" pipes. There is also a Jotul 8 in very good condtion available and I am wondering if it would be better than the F3CB. Seems a little bigger but I think it needs 7" pipes.

I am still leaning toward the F3CB.

I am on a budget. The F400 is no longer available. I was looking at a vintage Vermont Castings model 1977, a little smaller than the Defiant (as well) but I don't think I can get it to work with 6" pipes. There is also a Jotul 8 in very good condtion available and I am wondering if it would be better than the F3CB. Seems a little bigger but I think it needs 7" pipes.

I am still leaning toward the F3CB.
What’s your budget. A DIY install for a new Drolet 1800i with insulated liner should run 2500$ minus the tax credit. F3cb is not a big stove. I have the F400 in a a fireplace in 1000 sq ft open concept and it does fine but I wish it was bigger when it gets cold. There is no good way to load it for overnight burns when it’s cold. F3 will be even smaller.

I have owned the F3CB many years ago. It's a small firebox with a 4 hr burn time at best. It's too small. Go with a new Drolet, Century, or True North insert if the budget is tight and you can find one.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have a similar house setup to you. I have a small 1.85cuft firebox and it heats my house great. The massive downside is how often you have to fill it. Definitely go at least 2.5 cuft in firebox size

It should be ok. Will it sit far enough out on the hearth for side-loading? Be sure to have an insulated block-off plate in the damper area of the fireplace and a proper hearth extension.

I wound up getting a Jotul F500. It is coming in a couple of weeks. I hope it isn't too much stove.
If it’s far back I have one of these. It sits on the floor behind the ashpan. Works well.
AC Infinity AIRBLAZE T14, Universal Fireplace Blower Fan Kit 14" with Temperature and Speed Controller, for Lennox, Hearth Glo, Majestic, Rotom https://a.co/d/9fBI1lj

Reactions: Under the Trees
It should be ok. Will it sit far enough out on the hearth for side-loading? Be sure to have an insulated block-off plate in the damper area of the fireplace and a proper hearth extension.
It might fit on the hearth with the shorter leg kit, but I am going to build something for it to sit on in front o fthe hearth and put a T and then a plate behind it going up the fireplace. Thanks!

It might fit on the hearth with the shorter leg kit, but I am going to build something for it to sit on in front o fthe hearth and put a T and then a plate behind it going up the fireplace. Thanks!
The back end can sit in the fireplace opening as long as the left side door can open easily. Is the hearth raised or flush with the floor? Pictures may be helpful.