Circulator Orientation Survey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

In what pumping direction do you mount your circulators?

• Horizontal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2007
CO 9000ft
I was wondering how everyone locates circulators.

The "old-school" approach seems to be vertically pumping down into the wood boiler return. This places the pump in the coolest return water at the lowest location.

The "modern" technique is to pump up from the supply but after the air separator. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57119/
This pumps air bubbles up into an air vent (hopefully at a higher location).

All the modern circulators require the pump axis to be horizontal to the ground.

I have mine in the old school manner but am concerned about cavitation and inefficiency when trying to pump air bubbles down.

My question is about plumbing with zone valves - is it better to push water out of the boiler supply or pull water back into the return?

Hi
I was told by the guy who designed my system circulators pulling hot water out of supply,whether it's a boiler,storage or HX.I have 4 on horizontal and one vertical.On the Grundfos you need to orient the electrical supply depending on the mounting position.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.