Class A Chimney Poor Fit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smed

Sep 18, 2011
Ontario Canada
I have a question about how sections fit together. I recently assembled a new chimney and found that the inner 6 inch tubes did not fit well into each other. There were gaps of about 1/4 inch in places. I called Selkirk and their response was that it was normal and that expansion and contraction would allow it to settle into place in the future. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I found it very odd and troubling. :-/

Attached is a picture showing the inside tube gap.

Attachments

• Sep012.jpg
    Sep012.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 283
FAX or email them a question. "Was your UL listing testing done using a 0.25" gap where straight sections connect? If not, please replace my nonconforming parts, as I purchased a UL listed system. Thank you for your prompt response." It can be worded better. My main point is to get directly to documenting this issue in writing. Follow up the first call you already had with a FAX or email summary.

I used stove cement on my plain old black stove pipe and thought the job was perfect. When I gave it the strong light test, I found a 0.12" space about three inches long wide open at one joint. I used a bit of unraveled stove gasket and another screw to close that up. But mine is out in the open where I can check it when the season begins.

I've got the same Selkirk pipe, and definitely didn't have gaps like that! I'd definitely fax them like JimboM suggests... email can be bad. (I just emailed Selkirk about their roof brace kit... email bounced)

If Selkirk isn't quick to reply, can you take it back? That style of chimney is sold at Home Hardware (Not Lowes/HD/Canadian Tire).

Status
Not open for further replies.