Class A Install Question (Englander 30-NC)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadNH

Hearth Supporter
Aug 8, 2010
Central NH
See the below pictures. I have the option of either exiting through the wall beside my side porch (on the left hand side of pictures) or through the wall to the left or right of the bulkhead. I wasn't sure how the tree is going to play in to things as far as clearances go, it would be within 10' of the chimney if I went out the wall near the side porch. Stove is a Englander 30-NC, using Selkirk Metalbestos.

Just for reference, the right side of the bulk head to the corner of the house is 8.5' and the width of the porch is about 7.5'.

chimney2.jpg

chimney1.jpg

That is going to be a lot of exposed flue up the side of the house and then beyond the roof line. at a min. of 2 ft . With the tree there depending on the prevailing wind, you might have to go higher. This type on install could lead to draft problems. Depending on how high you have to go above the roof line you will need support up there as well.

blades said:
That is going to be a lot of exposed flue up the side of the house and then beyond the roof line. at a min. of 2 ft . With the tree there depending on the prevailing wind, you might have to go higher. This type on install could lead to draft problems. Depending on how high you have to go above the roof line you will need support up there as well.

Yes, I already figured draft may be an issue. Unfortunately, that is what I have to work with, however the exit of the pipe will be just below the top of the window level. I called my town and they didn't say anything about the tree being so close. I just want to be sure my install is covered with my insurance company and all is to code. Does the tree count as a combustible surface where the exit of the chimney needs to be 2' above or does that rule factor the roof only??

Also, The piping will run roughly 12' to the roofline + whatever I need above that point...I figured my run would be roughly 19-20' max when all said in done.

Not really sure what you are asking...only you can decide the best location to run the chimney. Really it just comes down to looks and what you are willing to live with. I have a class A stainless just installed out my basement wall and up. Its 26 ft in total height and doesn't quite pass the 10 and 2 rule....but...so far it has drafted just fine for me.

Too the peak of the roof + a min. of 2ft. I would be best too build an enclosure around your flue to preserve heat in it.
Rough rule of thumb is 10 - 3, 3 ft higher that anything in a 10 ft radius.

Exiting on the cellar entrance side looks like the cleaner option. The porch side space looks narrow and close to the porch roof. Given the height, this should work out. It might take a little warming up, but it should draft ok. Top down fire start will help.

jstellfox said:
Not really sure what you are asking...only you can decide the best location to run the chimney. Really it just comes down to looks and what you are willing to live with. I have a class A stainless just installed out my basement wall and up. Its 26 ft in total height and doesn't quite pass the 10 and 2 rule....but...so far it has drafted just fine for me.

Well, the tree to the left. Are there particular rules on how close I can be to it with the exit of the chimney? I think I have decided to exit through the bulkhead enterance side, now I just nee to decide if its to the left or right of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.