Classic Bay 1200i question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grader07

Jan 14, 2017
Maryland
A friend of mine has a classic bay 1200i stove that has a rod to adjust feed control. He said he cant tell how much is feeding because there are bo marks on adjustment rod. Those of you that have any knowledge of these stoves could you please post a solution or a fix so that i can relay it to him. He said he cant get much heat out of the stove so i told him to open the feed up a bit. Thanks for the help guys!

Page 23 in the manual. His problem is probably something else.

The feed adjustment control rod is factory set, and should
be adequate for most fuels. The set screw is located at the
bottom of the hopper and set loose at the factory so the
fuel adjustment control rod will slide up and down by only
loosening the thumb screw at the top. See Figure 23.1. Do
not re-tighten bottom set screw.
However, if the flame height is too high or too low, you will
need to adjust the feed rate. Wait until the appliance has been
burning for 15 minutes before making your adjustments and
allow 15 minutes for feed adjustment to take effect.
1. Loosen the thumb screw. Figure 23.1.
2. Adjust the fuel adjustment control rod towards the "+"
symbol to increase the feed rate and flame height or
towards the "-" symbol, to decrease the feed rate and
flame height.
. Re-tighten the thumb screw

Yep, more fuel feed helps heat output for sure.

Is unit fully cleaned of ash behind the heat exchanger tubes? Hopefully he is using the two heat exchanger tube cleaners when stove is cold as if these are coated with thick as it will cut down on BTU output.

There are also 3 selectable heat levels, assume he realizes this but never know. He could be running on low 100% of time and wondering why output is marginal.

He has his rod set so that when the pellets initially drop into fire pot the flame reaches about 4-6 inches in height. Then he told me it goes so low that it goes down inside the height of the pot. I told him thats to low it needs to be 4-6 after it settles back down from igniting. He runs with the setting on high but he said it only gets to 63 degrees in the house and it has a pretty open first floor of about 1300 sq ft. He told me to try the pellets he is using so i bought 3 bags of them to try. Im getting really nice heat and results from the pellets he uses so its not the pellets. I told him to open the rod up more to increase feed. I said its like throwing more wood on a fire it should get hotter. He said with a temp gauge he gets about 185* coming out of blower. I was getting 226-235 with an occasional spike of 241 using the pellets he told me to try.