Classic Bay - Convection Blower won't turn on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyL

Dec 2, 2012
I've done some searching around hoping to solve my problem without having to ask a question that has already been asked but I'm stuck.

I purchased a used Classic Bay and installed it. Everything is working fine except the convection blower doesn't start. I found a thread that suggested it be the snap disc. I removed the snap disc and jumped it with a piece of wire as suggested to see if that was the cause. The convection blower turned on and operated without issue. I figured the cause was the snap disc so I replaced it. When I turned the stove on after making the replacement the convection blower still fails to turn on even after burning for about a half hour. Does anyone know what I can do to solve this issue?

Thanks,
Billy

Possible a second bad snap disc though I doubt it. Try pulling the convection fan and running it off of direct power from a cord. Only do this if you are comfortable working with AC. If the fan runs for a while and shuts down then you know it's your fan. Also make sure all your connections are tight.

Would that be the same thing as connecting the two purple wires via a copper wire? The convection fan comes on no problem and will continuously run until I remove that wire.

It ran fine when you jumped the snap disk, so it's not the blower.

How long are you letting the stove run? On some stoves, it can take 15-20 minutes before it gets hot enough for the convection blower to start (longer on lower heat settings).

It ran fine when you jumped the snap disk, so it's not the blower.

How long are you letting the stove run? On some stoves, it can take 15-20 minutes before it gets hot enough for the convection blower to start (longer on lower heat settings).
I've let it run about 20-30mins. I'm running it now on high to see if that makes a difference.

What temp setting are you running at? Could be Proof of Fire sensor....try running on High heat setting.

Try tightening the spade connections. Mine had various issues that were solved by crimping the connections with needle-nose pliers.

It just started working. I ran it on high and just let it be. Took approximately 20-25 mins on high to get up to temperature.

Thank you all for your responses and help in this thread and others!!

It just started working. I ran it on high and just let it be. Took approximately 20-25 mins on high to get up to temperature......

POF sensor may be marginal....the conv. fan should come on even on low fire. Most of them turn on at around
120::F.

Quad changed the location of the POF as I understand it.

Also dirt (ash) behind where it is on the exhaust system can insulate things so it doesn't see its turn on temperature as soon as it was when the stove was new.

When you replaced it did you make certain you got the correct temperature rating.

A number of folks have gone to an adjustable one turned down or have gotten a low temperature snap disc.

I did get the correct snap disk. I got it from a quadra fire dealer. Prior to it actually turning on I cleaned out all the ash behind the plates which could have been the cause. It seemed to act a little quicker the second time it had to come on. Do you know where the proof of fire sensor is? I read through the manual but don't see where it would be located.

Another issue I ran into once the blower started turning on is when the thermostat goes 2 degrees below the desired temperature the stove tries to turn on the red feed light goes on and the exhaust blower starts. No pellets drop and eventually the exhaust blower goes out. If I push the reset button it will start dropping pellets. Problem is, when I'm not home or sleeping, I won't be able to do that.

Check your vacuum line for ash in it or the barb on the stove where it is attached to and vacuum switch at one point Quad had some vacuum switches that were bad (rectangular ones) that came unglued so to speak.

The stove should feed pellets if the vacuum switch closes.

The other thing that can happen is the auger motor might not always turn or turn in the wrong direction (there is a capacitor that sometimes fails that ensures it starts and turns in the correct direction).

I don't know exactly where the snaps discs are located on that stove. The actual POF in that stove is the t/c what gets called the POF by most of the non Quad burners on here is actually the snap disc that turns the convection fan on and not a proof of fire sensor at all.

Also check your door gasket... you may not be getting enough vacuum if it doesn't seal well.

The CB1200 can take a while to get up to temp.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.