Clean your heat exchangers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRemington

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2017
Belleville New York
We've been seeing a lot of stoves with people complaining they aren't heating like they should. Your heat exchangers can get covered in a coating of carbon and ash very quickly. This actually insulates the exchangers from getting hot and cuts down drastically on the heat blown into your room. If you have a plate protecting your exchangers from the flame it needs to be removed often as fly ash will pack in there completely blocking the heat from them. It's best to wire brush or carefully scrape them back down to the metal.

To add to this make sure u try to clean them all the way around. My stove has a built in scraper for cleaning. But it still packs in slightly due to clearance of the scraper. I still get up their with a small wire brush and get lots out

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I've got a long flexible brush that works nice for mine. Think it might be for dryers but for some reason it looks like a pet toy. I've never scraped mine, but never seen hardened buildup in it either.

Ya I'm going to get a long handle bottle brush for cleaning.. only hard build up I had on mine is the burn pot..

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk