Clean your stove without shutting it off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevemartin

Dec 11, 2013
Hagerstown, MD
My Enviro EF3 needs to have the burn pot liner dumped out every 24 hours to keep the stove running at it's best. The manual says to shut it down and empty it daily. Wouldn't this be hard on the igniter? Is there anyone on here that does this while the stove is still running? I tried it last night by scooping the majority of the ashes out with a piece of steel. It worked, but not sure if there is an easier way.

I have an Enviro EF-4 and I usually shut it down every 2nd or 3rd day to clean/vacuum the ash and scrape the burn pot liner. I would love to do it daily without turning it off, but when I open the door while it is running, my living room fills up with smoke extremely quick and the wife gets quite unhappy. Looking forward to what others have to say.

igniters are pretty durable.
once a day is nothing compared to cycling on and off on a thermostat.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
shut it down and clean it as the manual prescribes, an extra start a day isnt going to affect that igniter at all., but running too long without cleaning the stove will affect the performance of the unit.

you dont change the oil in your car with the motor running, dont service your stove while its running. doesnt take too long for a unit to shut down be cleaned and be right back up and running. proper cleaning is the best thing you can do for a pelet stove

Enviro has high ash burn pots for a number of their stoves. This should allow a longer burn between shutdowns with low ash pellets.

I'm not a fan of opening the door on the stove when running too many things can go wrong.

Follow the manual about turning the stove off when dumping the burn pot it will prevent Murphy from paying you a visit.

Enviro has high ash burn pots for a number of their stoves. This should allow a longer burn between shutdowns with low ash pellets.

I'm not a fan of opening the door on the stove when running too many things can go wrong.

Follow the manual about turning the stove off when dumping the burn pot it will prevent Murphy from paying you a visit.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I will just shut it down like the manual says. You are right, there are quite a few things that could go wrong if cleaning the stove while it's still running.

Status
Not open for further replies.