Cleaned my exhaust pipe today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grintch

Burning Hunk
Apr 4, 2013
North Attleboro
I have burned a little over 4 tons this year without cleaning the exhaust. My glass would be dirty 20 min after cleaning it and the flame was a little lazy. I do a good 1/2 hour cleaning every Sunday, but it seemed like it was starving for air.

So I went to lowes and bought the $20 dryer brush. I pulled the clean out off and duct taped a trash bag to catch anything that would be pushed out. I did 3 passes in and out and what a difference!!!

It has been burning for 3 hrs now and the glass is crystal clear!! The stove seems much happier!

Now I'm wondering if I do a good cleaning after the last bag, clean the exhaust, and clean out the fines box....do I need to pay someone $200 for a PROFESSIONAL CLEAN? What else do they do?

Happy Spring!!

The first year

i had my XXV one year and at the end of the season I had a professional cleaning. I had already done a thorough cleaning myself but I figured the first year it wouldn't hurt to see what I missed. They came and showed me how to clean the fines box and the esp sensor which I hadn't done and said otherwise I had done a good job and if it kept running good that I could clean it myself at the end of each season so I haven't had them come since. 3 years now. I also do the leaf blower trick halfway thru the season and at the end of the season. Also the fines box halfway thru the season and at the end.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck, how do you clean the ESP probe? I hear you have to be very gental!! I have brushed it gently with a small brush.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck, how do you clean the ESP probe? I hear you have to be very gental!! I have brushed it gently with a small brush.
Hi Grintch. I clean the ESP with a damp paper towel. It should come out bright and shiny and looking like new. I would think you could use mild liquid detergent on it if you had to. Also I have a very short run from outside into the stove so before running my round dryer brush from outside into the stove using an electric drill I remove the esp so I won't damage it running the brush through. I do this before doing the leaf blower trick. I forgot that as Leaf Girl mentioned I also do the blowers twice a season.
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.