Cleanfire pellets vs. Greene Team

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trudd

Jun 10, 2008
Rhode Island
Yup, I'm comparing Cleanfire Pellets which many people seem to love to the Lowes pellets. I have 4 tons of cleanfire, have burned 15 bags but, recently have run into issues with the pellets clogging my stove. I got few bags of the Lowes pellets from my father-in-law to try and they've burned fine.

Here's the main difference between the two pellets. The cleanfire pellets are harder (more difficult to break up) than the Greene Team. Not ridiculously harder but if you'll notice a difference when comparing them. I'm almost positive that this is why my auger has been getting clogged. My auger can't break up the cleanfire pellets if it gets into a jam. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else notice if certain pellets tend to be "harder" than others?

On another note, I threw in a bag of cleanfire when I got home, burned about half a bag with no clogging. What gives???

I thought maybe I ran into a few bad bags but, I picked a few other bags randomly from my 4 tons and the hardness of the pellets is the same throughout.

This my be a crazy question but what the heck, is there anyway I can soften the pellets?

Anyway, thanks for reading this.

sinnian said:
Do a search for CleanFire and you will see my tales of woe and deception -lol

They are good pellets though, but they ARE very hard.

Did your dealer end up installing a bigger auger motor? If so, do you recall any of the specs on it. I've thought of doing this as well. Has the bigger motor fixed your clogging issues?

Thanks

They had the carbide cutter cup fabricated this week and shipped it out yesterday, so hopefully that will be installed by Thanksgiving. The bigger motor will only be if the carbide cutter does not work ~ so idk yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.