cleaning a 10 cpm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
First year with a pellet stove, so bear with me.

I have a 10-cpm, and I'm not convinced I'm doing a good enough job of cleaning it. I have the DVD from englander, and have followed their instructions to the T, but I feel like there is a big part of the stove left uncleaned. Above the fire box, there is a open shelf-like area that ash tends to accumulate on, and I vacuum that out. There are about 6 holes in the back of that area, where I assume some ash falls. How do I clean those out? I've pulled the room air blower, and that was barely dirty. Suggestions on cleaning areas that aren't covered in the DVD?

Thanks.

Those holes are for ash to fall, and also are part of the heat exchanger system. They lead to the same location as the 2 ash cleanout doors on the bottom right & left of the firebox.

Best way to clean them is to remove the "firebrick" panel, bang on the back wall with a small hammer or mallet so all the "stuck" ash falls to the bottom, and then open those covers and use a piece of rubber hose connected to your vacuum to poke around back there. I sometimes even try going from the holes downward with the hose.

I also have a small brush attachment I put on the vacuum and slide that around above the shelf to clean it and the top, sides, and anything else I can get it onto.

BTW, when you pull the combustion blower after your first 1 - 1 1/2 tons, you can use the above mentioned rubber hose and brush to clean back into the heat exchanger too.....feel around in there w/ your hand and you'll feel the opening.

Don't forget to order a couple of new gaskets for that too. PM me for a good place to get them fairly inexpensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.