cleaning a Englander Combustion Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btbeam

Dec 19, 2013
New Jersey
Is there any trick to cleaning the combustion blower on a englander that disconnecting the vent pipe? Has anyone developed anything? Can I just take the motor off from the side? Any thoughts would be great thanks

I take mine out at the middle of the season and at the very end of the season (Mayish). I use red high temp silicone instead of a gasket. Saves a lot of money.

You didn't list what stove you have, which might help provide some model specific advise. Also, you might want to poke around Englander's website, they have some informational videos on there, I know for my model that have a how to for R&R'ing the combustion blower. You probably want to be sure you have the correct gasket to replace too, as they are known to be easy to tear when removing.

Is there any trick to cleaning the combustion blower on a englander that (other than) disconnecting the vent pipe? Has anyone developed anything? Can I just take the motor off from the side? Any thoughts would be great thanks

Just pull the motor and draft fan. Brush off the fan and suck out the cavity with a shop vacuum. They are all about the same design no matter what the make of stove is. I use red glue (Red High Temp RTV) instead of the flimsy gasket too. My gasket has been absent for years......

Reactions: jim3854
I just did this yesterday. Removed fan and motor assembly. Gasket was shot so used red RTV as advised and all worked out fine. I had to oil my fan it was squealing.

Just pull the motor and draft fan. Brush off the fan and suck out the cavity with a shop vacuum. They are all about the same design no matter what the make of stove is. I use red glue (Red High Temp RTV) instead of the flimsy gasket too. My gasket has been absent for years......

So you just remove the couple of nuts that keep the motor and fan on? Leave the larger housing in place. Also I have the 25 IP sotve

So you just remove the couple of nuts that keep the motor and fan on? Leave the larger housing in place. Also I have the 25 IP sotve

More than a couple, like 4 or 5 around the perimeter that screw on to the weld studs...... The large housing isn't coming loose anytime soon.

I just did this yesterday. Removed fan and motor assembly. Gasket was shot so used red RTV as advised and all worked out fine. I had to oil my fan it was squealing.

You do follow directions well as it was me that explained to you that using Red RTV is the way to go. Get your pink tool set yet?

More than a couple, like 4 or 5 around the perimeter that screw on to the weld studs...... The large housing isn't coming loose anytime soon.

Thanks I didnt ask the correct question. You answered it though. They are welded studs is the blower assembly. I was afraid that if I took those nuts off it would fall into the housing. thanks Again

LOL will be working on that :)

Tractor Supply has some nice pink handled side cutters in their flyer this week. Might be a good place to start. I will say you are the adventerous type. My wife would nevet touch the stove. She'd just flip on the central furnace and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.