Cleaning an Accentra Freestanding stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenalmond

Jul 25, 2008
Boston MA
I was just doing my first full clean as opposed to scraping of my stove today. I have noticed a lot more buildup of clinkers in the burn pot this year as well as more rust on the stove.

Overall there is more creosote than usual and I am concerned about the burn pot and auger. I have been burning in this stove for 4 seasons and this is the most I have seen in terms of build up after a 1 ton burn. I am a pellet snob as well and have only burned Barefoot pellets in this stove.

I am posting some pics. Specifically I am concerned about the build up on the auger and the amount of rust in the burn pot. Is this normal or am I over reacting? In terms of heat output the stove seems to be doing as normal however for some reason this year I seem to be getting a 2-3 inch ash line as opposed to just a 1 inch on the normal setting of speed 3.

Any advice is appreciated

Con
pelletstoveauger2_zps3bc0b9fa.jpg

pelletstoveauger_zps3cd2ed95.jpg

The carbon build up looks similar to mine this is my 3rd season, all though it may just be the picture but it looks like the burn pot holes may need to be cleaned.

The carbon build up looks similar to mine this is my 3rd season, all though it may just be the picture but it looks like the burn pot holes may need to be cleaned.
I think it might be the picture but just in case any recommendations on how to clean out the holes? I use a wire brush to scour the burnpot after i have scraped out the clinkers

Thanks

Hello

If I were you, I would yank that auger out and service it out! Then you will have a nice cozy warm winter!

Here are some pics and details of the best way to service a Harman auger by shinning it up and using "Dry Moly Spray"
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...on-a-harman-pellet-stove.100068/#post-1279408
I feel like that kind of work might be a bit over my comfort level. The stove is in a very tight corner of the house and I dont think I would like to monkey around back there for the first time without knowing what I am doing with only inches of room to play with and hanging upside down to boot.

If I dont shine up the auger will it harm and or cause the stove perfromance to decline dramatically? Right now all the electronics and blowers are working and it seems to be giving about the same amount of heat

Thanks

I feel like that kind of work might be a bit over my comfort level. The stove is in a very tight corner of the house and I dont think I would like to monkey around back there for the first time without knowing what I am doing with only inches of room to play with and hanging upside down to boot.

If I dont shine up the auger will it harm and or cause the stove perfromance to decline dramatically? Right now all the electronics and blowers are working and it seems to be giving about the same amount of heat

Thanks

That's fine about your comfort level. It certainly does degrade the stove's performance and as more and more carbon builds up on the auger, it will eventually jam and stop working. This is what people must expect if the stove is not professionally cleaned. I just wanted you to know and understand this so if or when you do hire a professional to do this work, then make sure you do get someone with the knowledge and the tools to do it right as shown in the pics.

Thanks for understanding.

I think it might be the picture but just in case any recommendations on how to clean out the holes? I use a wire brush to scour the burnpot after i have scraped out the clinkers

Thanks

I use a small screw driver about same diameter as the holes or a piece of stiff wire

Status
Not open for further replies.