Cleaning/Changing the Air Damper in an Avalon 990 Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve777

Dec 5, 2021
Colorado
We've got an older Avalon 990 wood stove that I am trying to clean/refurb a bit. One of the things that I think needs attention is the air control mechanism, the rod that you pull out to control the volume of air getting to the fire. It still works, but has gotten stiff and hard to move over time.

The part still seems to be available (Travis part # 91001723), but I'd like to take the current one out and have a look at it before throwing in a new part. May just need a cleaning, or perhaps a new mechanism is needed.

In either case, I first have to figure out how to inspect/remove the old unit; and that isn't clear to me. On some Rainer/Avalon stoves there is a plate that the control rod pass thru, and that plate is held in with two screws. Not so on this 990. In looking at the outside there do not appear to be any removable plates or access doors. I thought maybe if I removed the floor fire bricks there might be access there. But before I dug in too far thought I would ask here.

Anyone know how to access/remove the air damper assembly from an Avalon 990?

Thanks. I or course did a google (and a couple of other search engines) searches first for this info. Also on youtube. A lot of similar stuff (plus an amazing amount of Toyota Avalon auto air parts info despite wood stove being in the search) but nothing for the Avalon 990.

If google did return something useful for you, please post the link here.

Look for the Avalon Rainier manual. The Rainier models were 945 and 990 depending on the flue collar.

I would spray silicone down along the air control rod while working it. There is also a cover plate on the bottom of the stove for attaching an OAK. You might be able to see the air valve through there. If so, spray liberally with silicone or graphite.

Thanks. I or course did a google (and a couple of other search engines) searches first for this info. Also on youtube. A lot of similar stuff (plus an amazing amount of Toyota Avalon auto air parts info despite wood stove being in the search) but nothing for the Avalon 990.

If google did return something useful for you, please post the link here.
Oops I neglected to add Rainier note.( Thank you begreen and Jan )Steve you are correct I should have provided you with the link .Please forgive my error.