Cleaning exhaust vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

khpony

Sep 28, 2019
Rociada, NM
I have a PelPro PP130 and the exhaust vent thru the roof. I'm having trouble finding something flexible but firm enough to clean the vent from the botttom. I'm soon to be 74 and really don't need to be on the roof. What's everyone that has a situation similiar to mine doing? Attached are photos showing my situation.

100_7084.JPG 100_7085.JPG

69E84DAE-38D3-4B0E-8325-079DCD7FCFF9.png

This is what I use. I clean mine from the bottom, and with a little encouragement it will also get into the branch going to the stove.

Its hard telling from the picture how much room you got from the floor to the tee. I got about a foot.

How about a Soot Eater? I use one on both my stove exhausts. They have different kits for different lengths. And, looking at the prices, you might use a lint eater instead - 30 ft lint eater. They are basically the same thing anyway.

I use a sooteater on a drill to clean my liner , I use a HEPA rated filter and Dust Bag on a shop vac to capture the soot coming down the pipe as it has alot more suction than the ash vac. It's amazing how much comes out of the pipe and I clean it 2-3x a season.

Reactions: VintageGal
A leaf blower could work well too. I have seen where people use a piece of an inter tube to make an adapter that clamps on the end of the leaf blower and on the bottom of the cleanout T.

You can then cut a piece of styrofoam board that wedges in the stove door opening wihh the a hole cut just big enough for your shop vac hose. Kick on the shop vac and then blow out the vent.