Cleaning saw chain...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
What do you use to clean the crud build up off of your saw chain? A local guy here years ago would return your sharpened chains looking factory new and he had soaked them in something to clean them up..

Turpentine would be natural solvent for pine sap. I like citrus-based cleaners too (e.g. Goo-Gone). Bicyclists use it to clean crud off their chains (Just wear gloves to prevent acute dermal toxicity). I've heard some soak in diesel as well.

Elms in particular produce a mucilaginous sap (sugar/ starch) that is persistent and difficult to remove from hand/ pole saw blades. I've heard of a specialty product that contains an enzyme to break it down. I'll check into the product name.

Go to Menards and buy Super Clean, its in a purple container. Use it full strength. soak chain for a long as you want covered in this liquid. I use a 3# plastic coffee container. When clean remove and flush with water, blow dry. Will look like a new chain

I use carb and choke cleaner. Every 3-5 chain sharpenings, I take the cover off, brush everything out and blast it with the hose.

I use starting fluid as an all purpose cleaner. It works especially great on cleaning out female hydraulic hose quick connects.

What do you use to clean the crud build up off of your saw chain? A local guy here years ago would return your sharpened chains looking factory new and he had soaked them in something to clean them up..

I have an Oregon chain sharpener and before sharpening a chain, I always clean by soaking in Purple Power or strong mix of Simple Green.
Usually soak for an hour or so, and clean with a parts cleaning brush while submerged.
I then rinse off with hot water and dry.
Before sharpening, I clean top cutters with a wire brush as a little extra.
Grind wheels don't clog up.

Go to Menards and buy Super Clean, its in a purple container. Use it full strength. soak chain for a long as you want covered in this liquid. I use a 3# plastic coffee container. When clean remove and flush with water, blow dry. Will look like a new chain
Is this what you were talking about? I didn't see any Super Clean per say...going to give this a go. I keep about a dozen chains per saw and need something I would be able to dilute in order to make enough to soak multiple chains at once.I
IMG_2465.jpg
will show some before after pics and give a honest review.

Is this what you were talking about? I didn't see any Super Clean per say...going to give this a go. I keep about a dozen chains per saw and need something I would be able to dilute in order to make enough to soak multiple chains at once.IView attachment 195363 will show some before after pics and give a honest review.

I have also used Zep it works about as good as other strong concentrated liquids.

I have also used Zep it works about as good as other strong concentrated liquids.
Thats good to know...I neglected these chains for far to long. Once I get them cleaned up I will have to stay on top of keeping them clean.

I'm lazy I don't normally clean my chain. But then again I don't clean my saws either except for the air filter and the rim sprocket and clutch cover.

The few times I have cleaned my chains though I used gasoline.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I've never cleaned my chains, I've never heard of doing it. Guess I'll have to start. What are the main advantages, just getting the crud out of the links?

I've never cleaned my chains, I've never heard of doing it. Guess I'll have to start. What are the main advantages, just getting the crud out of the links?

I clean only to remove contaminants before grinding.

The only thing I want to clean is when I take apart the clutch cover when I change chains. The simplest thing to do is to use high air pressure with my air compressor to blow out the gunk in and around the clutch cover and around the air filter. If I need to clean otherwise, I use spray starting fluid.

The only thing I want to clean is when I take apart the clutch cover when I change chains. The simplest thing to do is to use high air pressure with my air compressor to blow out the gunk in and around the clutch cover and around the air filter. If I need to clean otherwise, I use spray starting fluid.

I use a parts cleaning brush to get the big stuff out of the clutch cover. I also drag a tool down each side of the bar to clean the built up crap out of the groove. You are right air compressor works good, especially to make sure the oil ports are clear of debris.

Guess I've never cleaned a chain in 20+ years of wood cutting. I figure the key parts... link pins, etc... have a coating of oil for lubrication, why would I want to wash that away and start over every time? Never cleaned one before sharpening either... any tool capable of cutting metal would surely cut through a thin coating of tree sap.

I run 5 saws and have 10-12 chains per saw.I don't play when I go cut wood.I don't spend time sharpening in the woods. Access many times is across farm fields.So when its dry we hit it hard and don't stop.Hence so many chains.They don't all get used in a timely manner at times and as a result some will set for some time before being used. They can get crusty and rusty if setting to long.Back when I only ran 1 or 2 saws this was never a issue. I will find something that cleans them up quickly and then dip them in oil and let them drip dry.

Last edited:
Buddy of mine highly recommends a one gallon ice cream bucket with ammonia. Soaks all the dirty dull chains this way. Longer the better. Simply rinse with water. Sharpen. Cut. He worked at a Stihl dealership for many years. This was there method. Same guy runs $300 sharpening wheels on both his sharpeners. Possibly not your average Joe....;) Food for thought.