Cleaning the Big E...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
I'm going to be receiving my Big E pellet stove this week. I ordered the model with the larger window and had thought it also had the large ash pan/drawer, but it doesn't have the drawer.

I guess that stove comes in several configurations. I thought big window meant it also had the ash pan/drawer, but not so.

I could order the one with the ash drawer but I can't trust the backorder wait. These stoves are in big demand and I've waited long enough.

So I"m sticking with my original, bird in hand and all.

My question is how much more work is cleaning the one without the drawer?

How often does this stove need to be shutdown and cleaned?

Is it a big deal?

Thanks for any info.

FG.

I have a BIG E with the small window that does not have a pan. I clean mine out once a week . I shovel out most of the ash with a little dust pan , and then vacuum out the remaining ash . Once a month I do a major cleaning , which includes cleaning behind the combustion chamber [ BEHIND THE LITTLE DOORS] , and using compressed airto get to places I can't vacuum out. Not a big deal weekly cleaning takes a 1/2 hour, monthly about an hour.

When you start seeing the ash pile up do the cleaning. Should be 7-10 days.

Eric

Cleaning really depend on how much you are burning, I burn mine on HIGH/LOW # 3/1 . I f you burn on straight 3 or 4 you will have to clean your stove more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.