Clinker question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

You'refired

Dec 12, 2017
Canada
I have a question about clinkers. I have a Heatilator PS50 and if I clean it daily I have no issue with clinkers. I am in Canada and during the coldest spells I try and put off cleaning until temp rises outside. At most this might go into 3 or 4 days. On those rare times I do have clinkers in the burn pot. Question is whether that is normal, meaning am I bound to get clinkers if I go that long between cleanings or should a stove with optimal settings not produce clinkers no matter how long between cleanings?

My stove goes 2 or 3 days before I clean it, and there are usually no clinkers. I did find a clinker in the pot after one particular bag, but never before or since. What brand of pellet are you burning, and is it hardwood or softwood?

When wood is pelletized for use in pellet-burning stoves, those impurities can result in "clinkers." A clinker is a particle that isn't burned during the normal combustion process. ... Clinkers can also form when minerals in the ash fuse together or when dirt is introduced into the combustion chamber. They can form in any stove but when the stove is burning efficiently the impurity’s tend to fly out with the ash. Some stoves are prone to clinkers just by design.

I don't see where that link says my stove makes clinkers, just mentions what causes them in general. But I do believe my stove is prone to them after a few days or running 24/7.
If the fuel you are burning has a high dirt or ash content, it
may be necessary to clean the fire pot more than once a
day.
Dirty fuel will cause clinkers to form in the fire pot. A clinker
is formed when dirt, ash or a non-burnable substance is
heated to 2000°F (1093°C) and becomes glass-like. See
“D” page 17 in this section for more details on fuels with
high ash content
Cleaning Firepot with Cleaning Rod & Firepot
Clean-Out Tool;

Frequency:
Daily or more often as needed
Page 16.

day.
high ash content
Clean-Out Tool;

Frequency:
Page 16.

day.
high ash content
Clean-Out Tool;

Frequency:
Page 16.
Not to argue the point, again this is the same for every stove, it is referencing the fuel. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

If you cleaned your pot per instructions,daily,you would never see it.Lots of top feeder stoves form clinkers,some even have automatic pot dump/restart the stove.I know what you mean,when the weather is bad,you do not want to shut it down,my old integra is like that,with the clinker.Next time,grab a long scraper,or screwdriver,and scrape the pot,jab if necessary,to bust up the crust,stir a little.While the fire is burning.You probably could burn quite a few days,doing this once or twice a day,probably up to a week.

If you cleaned your pot per instructions,daily,you would never see it.Lots of top feeder stoves form clinkers,some even have automatic pot dump/restart the stove.I know what you mean,when the weather is bad,you do not want to shut it down,my old integra is like that,with the clinker.Next time,grab a long scraper,or screwdriver,and scrape the pot,jab if necessary,to bust up the crust,stir a little.While the fire is burning.You probably could burn quite a few days,doing this once or twice a day,probably up to a week.
I have a pot cleaner but think that I am not doing it diligently enough, will start doing it daily even when no signs I need to.

I have a question about clinkers. I have a Heatilator PS50 and if I clean it daily I have no issue with clinkers. I am in Canada and during the coldest spells I try and put off cleaning until temp rises outside. At most this might go into 3 or 4 days. On those rare times I do have clinkers in the burn pot. Question is whether that is normal, meaning am I bound to get clinkers if I go that long between cleanings or should a stove with optimal settings not produce clinkers no matter how long between cleanings?

Don't know about your unit but I never shut down to clean clinker. Burning corn with a whisper of pellets mixed in. I lift my pellet lid which stops the auger then when the fire dies down I just open the door and use a screwdriver to get under the clinker and flip it over the side. When I burn just pellets I use a garden hand spade that I cut off the pointed end and use that to remove the crusty ash. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Don't know about your unit but I never shut down to clean clinker. Burning corn with a whisper of pellets mixed in. I lift my pellet lid which stops the auger then when the fire dies down I just open the door and use a screwdriver to get under the clinker and flip it over the side. When I burn just pellets I use a garden hand spade that I cut off the pointed end and use that to remove the crusty ash. Hope this helps.
Thanks, need to look around and find something better/longer than my cleaning tool and I will be all set.