Closable glass doors for zero clearance insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ADPOL

Nov 24, 2022
Arkansas
I have a zero clearance wood burning fireplace insert that I dont like and I want to optimize it’s efficiency and safety. It has the crappy tempered glass doors with a screen but it allows smoke into the house since the glass doors have to be open so Im thinking about adding glass doors that are meant to be shut. I found a few retailers online, does this work with a zero clearance? My fireplace does have an outside air source vent so I think it would work. Am I on the right path or should I look into something else?

I have a zero clearance wood burning fireplace insert that I dont like and I want to optimize it’s efficiency and safety. It has the crappy tempered glass doors with a screen but it allows smoke into the house since the glass doors have to be open so Im thinking about adding glass doors that are meant to be shut. I found a few retailers online, does this work with a zero clearance? My fireplace does have an outside air source vent so I think it would work. Am I on the right path or should I look into something else?
I have a feeling you don't have a true zero clearance fireplace but rather a heatilator type open fireplace. Picture would help. Short answer is if you have an open type fireplace insert it was not likely made to withstand the heat generated with closed doors.

Post some pictures of your setup so we can understand better