Clunking sound Harman advance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

the clunker

Dec 4, 2017
Worcester, MA
I have followed many responses to this question that had already been posted. I checked the chain and sprocket and they appear to be OK and aligned. The noise appears to be coming from the back but associated with the feeder. I sharpened the feeder and that appeared to help some. Before I change the motor because it seems to be oozing grease from the shaft, I wanted to make sure that the Feeder pusher arm is not the problem. When the arm is in the downward position (which means the feeder is moving to the closed position) there is a clunking noise. When I look in the back of the stove I can see the feeder pusher arm move. should there be any play in the part. There is about a 3/8 in movement (in and out) in that part. Should that be that way????