Coals Now A Fine Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Today's warmup allowed me to let all the coals turn to ash. I'm always amazed the small volume of ash that remains. I love that fluffy stuff!

Edit: There a still a lot of little embers.

Yep,when the temps outside are warm enough it's amazing how you can turn all those coals into ash.

I'm quite impressed with how well my new stove burns everything down .
I had lots more ash and coals in my old stove,had to empty it out more frequently .
Just checked my flue too,it's staying a lot cleaner than the other one as well.

When it's really cold out the draft and temp differential is so great that a lot of the heat just goes up the flue. Then you run the stove hotter to try and make up for that loss and you end up with lots of coals,just the nature of the beast no matter what stove you have.

Just switched from soft maple to doug fir and I am looking forward to a lot less ash production.

The warmup was a learning experience for me in burning hard-core. I discovered my habit of loading 1 split E/W across the back then N/S on top was killing the 30's airflow and leaving coals, so back to N/S it was. Now, all ash.

Reactions: Hogwildz
The warmup was a learning experience for me in burning hard-core. I discovered my habit of loading 1 split E/W across the back then N/S on top was killing the 30's airflow and leaving coals, so back to N/S it was. Now, all ash.
I have found that Ash is a great all around wood to burn.
Oh wait..I don't think you meant you were burning Ash wood..lol.
But still I burn mostly ash with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.