Cold Starting Stihl 310

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryS

Nov 21, 2008
Central MO
Seems my new 310 is very cold starting. Worked my arse off the other day getting it going. I put the same gas in my 20 year old 028 wood boss and it fires on the second pull. I use the same starting procedure: starting switch all the way down on full choke until it spurts and then one notch, crank to start and let it warm up.

Are these just that way or is it more picky on gas?

Stihl won't start. I have a ms 310 I use the same starting procedure as you. Mine start ok.

my 310 takes a while to get started too. Maybe 10 or so pulls before it takes off. It never sputters though, it just takes off and I've got to take off the choke and fast idle thing at full speed. It's frustrating at times but I know if I keep pulling it'll start up. Doesn't matter if it's 0* outside or 90* it's still the same. After it's warmed up then it's easy 1 pull to get it restarted. I'd say that it's losing it's prime due to some small air hole somewhere in the line and it takes a bunch of pulls to get it back to the carb. Who knows though. I don't wish it on anyone but it's good to know someone else has the same issues.

do you pull a couple times with switch OFF choke ON - then Switch on ???

That works well for me

Your mileage may vary!

mine is the all in one switch you cant choke with the switch off

My 310 does the same type of thing, but only if I've left it for more than a couple of days. I can put it down overnight and it will start the next day withonly a couple of pulls. Leave it for more than a couple of days and its 10+ pulls to get it going. I suspect the gas drains out of the carb over time and it takes (quite?) a few pulls on the cord to get the fuel back up in the carb. I've replaced the fuel line with no change to the cold start up behavior. I condsider this to be my pre wood cutting warm up exercises. My 360 pro is not as bad, but acts the same way.

I forgive it every time though once I start cutting. Having only used a wild thing, I feel great when the saw starts cutting. Those yellow stihl chains bite.

dirttracker said:
My 310 does the same type of thing, but only if I've left it for more than a couple of days. I can put it down overnight and it will start the next day withonly a couple of pulls. Leave it for more than a couple of days and its 10+ pulls to get it going. I suspect the gas drains out of the carb over time and it takes (quite?) a few pulls on the cord to get the fuel back up in the carb. I've replaced the fuel line with no change to the cold start up behavior. I condsider this to be my pre wood cutting warm up exercises. My 360 pro is not as bad, but acts the same way.

you got it figured out......gold star for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.