Combustion fan gasket: do I use sealant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

irishlord99

Aug 2, 2015
Maine, USA
I've searched through a lot of threads on here and haven't found a definitive answer for this question:

When I took apart the combustion fan off of the St. Croix Prescott (that I purchased last year) it was stuck together with an ungodly amount of red sealant. The gasket looked home made, some sort of metal mesh and paper material, and I don't know if the person who last worked on the stove really knew what he/she was doing.

So I re-ordered factory gaskets, but I'm not sure if I should put the gaskets on dry or should I apply some sort of sealer like the red silicone?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

You can use RTV silicone. Or the OEM gasket either way you will be good as long as it done correctly

I like to apply sealant to the part that has been removed as it usually is out of the stove and is easier to clean and applying to the fan or motor can keep the gasket from shifting while inserting onto the stove.

Reactions: Owen1508
If one side of it needs sealant, BOTH sides need it.................

As a pro auto tech for 35 yr's, the gasket or RTV is there to seal any exhaust gases from escaping, those pellet stove gasket's are a ripoff, using red high temp rtv works just as fine, removing the blower later will be harder...about it

Reactions: Owen1508
I agree with pellet King. I always use RTV. Cheaper and it usually seals better

I usually make my own gaskets. Can make dozens of most gaskets for the price of one factory gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.