Combustion Motor Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

texcwa

Dec 13, 2018
Jackson, CA
Working on my Harman Accentra Pellet Stove. Stove is approx 15+ years old. Has always worked flawlessly. Have had to replace the igniter only twice, replaced the auger sprockets and chain at the beginning of this winter (drive sprocket was worn and chain would occasionally slip off) and have not had to replace the auger but just recently replaced the combustion motor. I purchased a new motor and fan blade (figured I may damage the blade during removal), replace all and stove runs great except that there appears to be a bit more smoke in stove during start up and glass seems to be getting dirty more than before (using same brand pellets). Just curious if when installing the fan blade it can make a difference as to where it is set on the shaft. There is about a 1/2" of play (inward or outward) on the shaft. Could this make a difference and does anyone know what the distance should be from back side of fan to inside face of back stove wall.

Additionally, when replacing the motor, noticed that there is no type of gasket or grommet that goes around the motor shaft and the parts diagram do not call out for any seal at the hole in back of stove that the motor shaft goes through. Should there be?

Thanks

Generally, you want a little bit of shaft showing,past the end of the impeller hub.That is assuming the replacement motor has same dimensions.I could see it causing your problem if it is too far back.It conceivably can be as far out,as close to the cover,as it sucks the air through that hole in the cover.But,never a good idea to go past flush(the shaft and the hub) going outwards.Some had gaskets,some not,never got a answer from Harman about that.My 06 has one,and I have used it over,but will need a new one next time.I have never seen it sold separately, but can easily be cut from lytherm.Have never seen it sold separately,but still available in this kit https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...-cover-gasket-set-1-00-07383-p/1-00-07383.htm Also,there is no shaft seal on combustion blowers,just too hot there,and the air being sucked in helps cool the shaft.

If you haven't done it in a while,your air wash for the glass may need cleaned out,also.

Bob

Thanks for the info. 1st to be clear, I should try moving the impeller (moving the impeller out away from motor) for better air movement? Thats easy to try anyways since I should not have to fight that set screw like I did on the original (had to use a torch to break it loose).

Also, I have never cleaned out the "air wash" and if you mean the small slot along bottom of glass then this is where I am getting all of my staining on the glass. What is best way and how to clean this wash?

Thanks again

Yes move impeller away from motor.I would put it just a little past flush on the hub.You can see it in this video- Also,if you didn't,You should remove it,remove set screw,and put antiseize on the threads,shaft and bore.Generally,a strong vacuum cleaner passed over the slots,every time stove is cleaned,will keep it cleaned.The other ways are-1 remove the air intake flap,then you can see the hole for them,and blow out with compressed air,2 make a adapter for your vacuum,with a small hose on it,and feed it down into the slots,and down into the pipe,33 blow compressed air down into the slots,with a vacuum back at the air intake,or,if you have outside air hooked up,just blow through slots.The majority of the dust will be sucked into the firebox,next time stove is lit.That is what I do,about 1 times a year,along with regular vac of the slots,

On my breckwell its recommended to have a 1/8 inch or so of shaft showing at the end..