Compromised heatilator ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PhoKingNoodleCat

Nov 11, 2019
Wakatomika, Ohio
Trying to install a stove insert into my fire place. I have removed the damper door, but I also had to cut into the back of the fire box and the smoke shelf, so the "back side of the heatilator is exposed to the inside of the fire box? Is that acceptable or do I need to box that all in with sheet metal?

I am beyond frustrated with this project and outside of my normal skill sets in trying to do this sheet metal fab. I dont want to burn the place down, but also I am ready to burn this place down, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_161335.jpg
    IMG_20191124_161335.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 161
Trying to install a stove insert into my fire place. I have removed the damper door, but I also had to cut into the back of the fire box and the smoke shelf, so the "back side of the heatilator is exposed to the inside of the fire box? Is that acceptable or do I need to box that all in with sheet metal?

I am beyond frustrated with this project and outside of my normal skill sets in trying to do this sheet metal fab. I dont want to burn the place down, but also I am ready to burn this place down, lol.
It is fine but you will want to seal it all off with a block off plate. And block off the vents

When you say to seal it all off, are you referring to vertically or where I have cut into the back section of the heatilator?
I am talking about sealing off the whole area around your new liner so no other air can go up around it

I had to do the same thing with my setup, and it worked out fine. But as bholler recommended, a block off plate is a must.
Just search for block off plate on the forum and you’ll find plenty of resources on how to do it. Post some pics as you progress if you can.