Condar Backsaver Apron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That actually looks like a good idea, although I don't think it saves your back.

My problem when I go out to get "just a few logs" with my canvas carrier is that I always load it too full, and can't get the handles together to hold it with one hand. This makes for fumbling to open the door to get back into the house. This device would solve that problem. Maybe I'll add a strap to mine so that I can put one side around my neck.

I use an old conference bag that I removed the sides from to carry wood. It turns out that I can use it like the apron. Will try and take a pic and post.

I use a $125 cart from Tractor Supply with a 1,400 pound weight rating that fits through the 26" door. Why screw around.

How does that thing work when you have to reach for wood at the bottom of the stack. Must be fun to squat down and fill it up at that point, or to lean way over for each log as it gets heavier and heavier. Make sure you take your "Help, I've fallen and cannot get up" button out with you.

All kidding aside, I really do not think that is practical. Back saver and neck breaker. Plus, it is going to be really painful on your arms to hold the weight up. If you only need to bring in 2 splits, carry one in each hand.

I use a $125 cart from Tractor Supply with a 1,400 pound weight rating that fits through the 26" door. Why screw around.

How does that thing work when you have to reach for wood at the bottom of the stack. Must be fun to squat down and fill it up at that point, or to lean way over for each log as it gets heavier and heavier. Make sure you take your "Help, I've fallen and cannot get up" button out with you.

All kidding aside, I really do not think that is practical. Back saver and neck breaker. Plus, it is going to be really painful on your arms to hold the weight up. If you only need to bring in 2 splits, carry one in each hand.

That would be perfect for our setup ! Although I would move the straps so they where more like a backpack one off the neck.

Pete

I don't like it - I want to be able to set the wood on the floor in my canvas bag. The apron seems to be a pain once you get to the stove - seems like you'd have to put all the wood on the floor/hearth etc, leaving the mess too. Cheers!

You've got a point, but this is what happens in our house: I use the cart to fill up the wood box, and then one morning, I get up at 6 AM to make a fire, and there's only one large log in the box. So, I need to just go out and get a few logs to get the fire going, and that's when I use the canvas carrier.

You've got a point, but this is what happens in our house: I use the cart to fill up the wood box, and then one morning, I get up at 6 AM to make a fire, and there's only one large log in the box. So, I need to just go out and get a few logs to get the fire going, and that's when I use the canvas carrier.

Yeah, the I have two racks of wood stacked right outside the basement door, so it isn't that big an issue for me to just go out and get a couple of logs if I need them. With that said, I have yet to get up in the morning and only find a single log in the inside rack. I tend to fill it back up when we get down to about a day or so of wood left in it and it is a nice day outside. Don't want to run out of wood inside when it is raining or snowing out.

Looks like a log could smack you in the junk with that contraption and it really looks odd. You wouldn't want your wife seeing you wearing that thing if you ever want to get any ever again.

Reactions: HDRock
I use a bag once in a while, but this thing ?

Cons
You have put it on, wear it
One hand holding up the wood all the time
Only One hand to pick up wood
Trying to bend down n pick up wood
Possibly getten smacked in the junk !!!
With a bag the mess stays in the bag
A bag will hold more
You have to take it off

Pros
;?

I've used this sort of thing once for hand hauling the wood from a small ash out of the woods. No way to get a cart back there. Not easy on the neck. Squat down, load it up, squat back up. Strikes me as better form (for the back) than repetitive bending over.

I see it more as being a sweater- saver than a back-saver. Won't let you carry more but will keep your clothing from getting messed up. Which is actually quite useful.

Reactions: BrianK
Might be dp you could also wear it while doing the dishes, dusting, or knitting.;lol

Reactions: Jack Straw
Status
Not open for further replies.