Conestoga Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CGB

Nov 2, 2014
Md
I just purchased a wood stove insert that says Conestoga on the front. It has a damper on top but no collar for pipe. The people I bought it from just had it in their fireplace as is and it worked for 20+ years. So I have installed it the same way in mine and it seems fine. Is this an acceptable method? Also, where can I find information about the stove?
Any help appreciated.
ThanksView attachment 143091

no it is not acceptable anymore. It is not to code, not safe, really hard to clean, and very inefficent. Cant tell you anything about the stove sorry but it looks good

no it is not acceptable anymore. It is not to code, not safe, really hard to clean, and very inefficent. Cant tell you anything about the stove sorry but it looks good
I also got a similar old Conestoga insert with the fan out of order, so I am seeking service personnel from the manufacturer or a fireplace dealer that can fix it. Can you shed light on the place I should contact? Thanks.

I just purchased a wood stove insert that says Conestoga on the front. It has a damper on top but no collar for pipe. The people I bought it from just had it in their fireplace as is and it worked for 20+ years. So I have installed it the same way in mine and it seems fine. Is this an acceptable method? Also, where can I find information about the stove?
Any help appreciated.
ThanksView attachment 143091
A few years ago, I put a new chimney in place with stainless steel liners. I am also using the Conestoga insert that is like yours. My township inspector said this kind of stove won't interact well with the new coded chimney in terms of drafting, so suggested me to switch to the plain fireplace (without the insert) to get better (more efficient) ventilation. If otherwise, I should close the insert doors while burning the firewood and turn on its fan to facilitate the ventilation and blow heat into the living room. You are right that my insert has no collar for pipe, which is the reason for the inspector to advise me on an alternative solution for burning firewood indoor.

A few years ago, I put a new chimney in place with stainless steel liners. I am also using the Conestoga insert that is like yours. My township inspector said this kind of stove won't interact well with the new coded chimney in terms of drafting, so suggested me to switch to the plain fireplace (without the insert) to get better (more efficient) ventilation. If otherwise, I should close the insert doors while burning the firewood and turn on its fan to facilitate the ventilation and blow heat into the living room. You are right that my insert has no collar for pipe, which is the reason for the inspector to advise me on an alternative solution for burning firewood indoor.
Was a boot made to connect your insert to a liner? If not it is unsafe to use

No boot at this moment, so I hope to find someone who’s able to custom this boot, do you know of anybody?
Most any decent chimney sweep

No boot at this moment, so I hope to find someone who’s able to custom this boot, do you know of anybody?
How is the liner installed if not hooked to the insert? What size is it?

Liner was installed inside flue with a “plate” holding it in a slightly higher position above the insert’s damper. I am trying to find a custom solution to connect both.

The outlet is a rectangular opening 12” x 6”
Ok so your stove outlet is 72 square inches. Your liner is 28 square inches. It isn't going to work well. Why did you have a 6" liner installed?

Ok so your stove outlet is 72 square inches. Your liner is 28 square inches. It isn't going to work well. Why did you have a 6" liner installed?
Did I say 28” for liner? It’s a 6” metal pipe, and was put in place by the contractor. I had no idea why so. In your opinion what can I do now to fix the problem?

Did I say 28” for liner? It’s a 6” metal pipe, and was put in place by the contractor. I had no idea why so. In your opinion what can I do now to fix the problem?
Get a different insert or get a liner sized for your insert

Reactions: Newjerseyan
Sell the old insert while the demand is good and get an insert with a 6" flue outlet.