Connecting a new woodstove to an existing interior chimney through 1/2 inch drywall...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dwanzil

Nov 15, 2022
CT, USA
Hi all! Trying to jump into the woodburning game. I bought a house with a pre-existing chimney from a previous (gone) woodstove, and now want to hook it up. On the other side of an interior wall (cabinet access) is a Metalbestos Class A chimney, nice and tall, typical 6" interior diameter with a nice T at the bottom for me to access to clean, and to connect to horizontally. That T with a bit of horizontal class A was stuffed with insulation and hidden behind drywall until recently. My issue is:
I am wondering how to make the connection through the hole in the drywall. Wall thimbles require a lot more wall size than my 1/2 inch of drywall. I would build up the other side of the wall, but there is barely any room between the piping back there and the wall...
Also, how do i connect some nice black double wall piping to a potential wall thimble? Or to a very short section of class A with a ring around it hiding the 2 inch gap i have to widen? And can I paint any class A that is sticking out into my living room?
Was Metalbestos replaced with Selkirk, then bough by Duravent? and do they all connect together easily? What else can connect? Thanks for any answers to my plethora of questions. Adding pictures. Space between the end of the pipe and the drywall is only about 1.5 inches... awkward.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Extend the T snout with class A. Use their wall thimble to pass the chimney pipe through the wall.

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 1.34.54 PM.png