Connecting Big E to existing chimney - What Pieces are needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremesolo

Oct 30, 2008
Central, PA
Since we are moving in the spring I want to vent my new Big E directly into my existing chimney without a liner. If it doesn't work properly then I will install a liner. I know the application at the new huse will probably be different and don't want to waste the money on a temporary installation. The existing chimney has a 7" clay pipe through the wall that my exhaust will need to vent through. I will try to attach a few pictures so you can see what the installation will look like. The stove outlet is 18" below the chimney opening. Will I want to run 3" or 4" pipe? I will at a minimum have to 90 it up and 90 it over to where the chimney opening is located and then another 90 if I should turn it up inside the chimney. Where should I locate a T (directly behind the stove, inside the chimney) and also should I turn a 90 up inside the chimney or is that not necessary? What should I use to seal the larger 7" opening in the chimney since a 3 or 4" pipe will be run through it? Where is a good place to buy the pipe and other materials that I will need? Is Lowes or Home Depot acceptable or should I look elsewhere? I just carried the stove downstairs last week and 2 tons of pellets on Saturday so since it is getting cold now, I would like to get this thing fired up. Please bear with me as I am new to pellet stoves.

Attachments

• 101_2175a.JPG
    101_2175a.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 101_2176a.JPG
    101_2176a.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 194
  • 101_2178a.JPG
    101_2178a.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 193
Status
Not open for further replies.