Connecting Stove Through Thimble to Stainless Tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hexa Fox

Sep 19, 2023
West Virginia
Hey guys,

So I have the stainless liner down my chimney fully installed and my stove attached to the wall. The problem that I have not been able to overcome is figuring out how to finish connecting what you see here on the stove to the tee inside the chimney. I have several adapters and several pieces of telescoping/adjustable pipe and only the setup you see before you works. Some of them come very close but they are either just too short or just too long.

So the adapter you see in the left of the first picture is what you see on the wall that is connected to the stove in the last picture for reference. It is a double wall to thimble adapter. The next two pieces are a combo stainless telescoping pair, the third (black piece) is an adapter. That adapter allows me to connect the telescoping piece(s) to the next (fourth) piece of stainless pipe you see. Finally the small collar is the snout that needs to be permanently fixed to the final piece of stainless pipe to connect to the tee. The second picture is the opposite side with the pipe assembled the way I want it to go through the thimble.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what you guys think of this? I was told to avoid using stove pipe like this in the thimble because it simply would not last as long. After I install it I plan to buy a couple more to have in the future in case I do need them. They are not expensive.

IMG_2239.jpegIMG_2241.jpegIMG_2237.jpeg

What is all that pipe traveling through? If masonry in all direction ( no studs) then why isn't a single piece of 6" stainless rigid liner being used?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexa Fox
Hey guys,

So I have the stainless liner down my chimney fully installed and my stove attached to the wall. The problem that I have not been able to overcome is figuring out how to finish connecting what you see here on the stove to the tee inside the chimney. I have several adapters and several pieces of telescoping/adjustable pipe and only the setup you see before you works. Some of them come very close but they are either just too short or just too long.

So the adapter you see in the left of the first picture is what you see on the wall that is connected to the stove in the last picture for reference. It is a double wall to thimble adapter. The next two pieces are a combo stainless telescoping pair, the third (black piece) is an adapter. That adapter allows me to connect the telescoping piece(s) to the next (fourth) piece of stainless pipe you see. Finally the small collar is the snout that needs to be permanently fixed to the final piece of stainless pipe to connect to the tee. The second picture is the opposite side with the pipe assembled the way I want it to go through the thimble.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what you guys think of this? I was told to avoid using stove pipe like this in the thimble because it simply would not last as long. After I install it I plan to buy a couple more to have in the future in case I do need them. They are not expensive.

View attachment 322526View attachment 322527View attachment 322525
It should be stainless all permanently attached through the wall

What is all that pipe traveling through? If masonry in all direction ( no studs) then why isn't a single piece of 6" stainless rigid liner being used?
How would this work? For instance, adding a piece of 1' pipe to the thimble adapter you see is not enough. Similarly, trying to add one of the telescoping pieces to it is too much, even with it being reduced as much as possible. Also yes I believe we have discussed it in the past and since my brick is recessed partly into the wall I believe we determined there are most likely no combustibles.
It is not possible with what I have now. I would need to order more stainless pipe and I cannot seem to find a lot of options.

Last edited:
I found a stainless steel adapter to replace the black one online. That would make it all stainless steel except for maybe the double wall adapter you see. That allows for double wall pipe to be attached from the stove but allows you to use single wall to go through the thimble, which is what I need to connect the stainless pipe to.

Stainless pipe is sold in various sizes. Find the length that you need and cut it to fit. It along with your tee snout will install as 1 unit.

I found a stainless steel adapter to replace the black one online. That would make it all stainless steel except for maybe the double wall adapter you see. That allows for double wall pipe to be attached from the stove but allows you to use single wall to go through the thimble, which is what I need to connect the stainless pipe to.
Begreens question about the wall it's passing through is a very important one. Is it solid masonry the whole way

Begreens question about the wall it's passing through is a very important one. Is it solid masonry the whole way
We have been over this before and I cannot remember how we determined that I am good but I am pretty sure we did. One of the guys that came out to give an estimate may have made that determination I cannot remember. So my father built it when I was very young and he is no longer with us unfortunately. Having that said, I am fairly certain this structure was built before the basement was finished. You can see the brick is not against the drywall but it goes inside it. It is also a solid thimble all the way through to the chimney.

Can you explain this @bholler? Maybe it will help me understand? Because before we ran a single curved 6" single wall stove pipe to the thimble that had a 8" adapter built onto the end for the 8" thimble. If there were combustibles adjacent to it then wouldn't I be in the same boat?

Stainless pipe is sold in various sizes. Find the length that you need and cut it to fit. It along with your tee snout will install as 1 unit.
I thought about this and decided against it because I cannot cut metal straight to save my life. I tried drilling a pilot hole through the snout/collar for the tee last night and it was nearly impossible but I did get through it. I put the drill on the lowest setting and tried to use pressure rather than speed.

So I guess if I had a question it would be can I use this setup the way I have it? Because if I try to go all stainless steel now I may have to reconsider the entire setup. I thought about trying to make everything from the stove to the tee stainless steel but it did not seem like a common thing anyone did and there is not a lot of available parts.

You guys also have me second guessing my stove to masonry adapter. Because in retrospect all it really is composed of is double wall on the stove side and the rest of it seems to be cheap single wall pipe. If it gets me up and running though and lasts a few years without issue that is a win through my eyes. Thoughts?

The masonry adapter you are trying to use isn’t needed. You simply attach your stove pipe to the ss pipe that protrudes from the chimney. A simple crimp is all that’s needed on the piece sticking out. Often that’s not even necessary on some brands.
The adapter is used if you don’t have a ss liner.

Reactions: bholler
Considering the confusion on parts so far, and the inability to cut metal, it may be time to have a professional come in and take care of it.

The masonry adapter you are trying to use isn’t needed. You simply attach your stove pipe to the ss pipe that protrudes from the chimney. A simple crimp is all that’s needed on the piece sticking out. Often that’s not even necessary on some brands.
The adapter is used if you don’t have a ss liner.
Unless there is something that I am not seeing it is what I need now. The masonry adapter that came with the stainless steel liner will not connect directly to the double wall pipe without the adapter we are talking about or something else.

Unless there is something that I am not seeing it is what I need now. The masonry adapter that came with the stainless steel liner will not connect directly to the double wall pipe without the adapter we are talking about or something else.
You would only use the masonry adapter if there was no liner. With a liner there’s no need for the adapter.