Considering a Fisher Grandpa Bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

olgreyhair

Feb 3, 2015
NE PA
Hello all. Looking at a local grandpa bear for sale. Not sure of the asking price yet but I do have one concern before making an offer.
Will be using the stove to heat our new 30x40 pole barn so I don't have a chimney system yet installed.
I'm concerned because the Fisher uses an 8 inch flue. The quote I got for a 6 inch chimney was $2600.00, and I think an 8 inch chimney will easily go over $3000. At some point, it seems better to just buy a newer 6 inch stove, but the stove budget can not go over 6-700 max.
I really like the idea of the older big stove, I have plenty of wood available, but are there any options to building an 8 inch chimney for the old fisher? I don't suppose you can reduce it down to a 6 inch or can you?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks, George

Hello all. Looking at a local grandpa bear for sale. Not sure of the asking price yet but I do have one concern before making an offer.
Will be using the stove to heat our new 30x40 pole barn so I don't have a chimney system yet installed.
I'm concerned because the Fisher uses an 8 inch flue. The quote I got for a 6 inch chimney was $2600.00, and I think an 8 inch chimney will easily go over $3000. At some point, it seems better to just buy a newer 6 inch stove, but the stove budget can not go over 6-700 max.
I really like the idea of the older big stove, I have plenty of wood available, but are there any options to building an 8 inch chimney for the old fisher? I don't suppose you can reduce it down to a 6 inch or can you?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks, George
I think they work best on 7".

What will the building be used for.

Why not get a 6 inch Papa Bear? It has the same output, better burn, and larger cook top. The only advantage of a Grandpa is fire viewing capability with doors open. Papa is the best design by Fisher, and the deep firebox accepts logs up to 30 inches. You will get more fuel in a Papa, longer burn times and the shape of firebox simply fits logs better.

You'll notice many Fireplace Models for sale have a 6 inch reducer pictured with stove. It was very common to do. Legally, reduction of 1 inch was allowed by NFPA Standard. The PA building code as well as most other states (ICC) no longer allows any reduction of size smaller than appliance outlet. They also require all stoves to be UL approved. If this is going to be an insured building, look into their requirements first.

Grandpa was designed with the larger outlet due to connecting to larger existing fireplace chimneys that require more heat. Also for open door burning to prevent smoke roll in. If you are installing an insulated chimney system that works well with less heat, 6 inch normally works fine. Pipe configuration and chimney height can reduce draft when reducing, but many are reduced to 6 and work well. It depends on use as bholler asked. The larger 8 inch chimney flue has more capacity, but also requires more heat to be left up. In homes it is rare to need the full capacity to burn that hard since cruise doesn't need that much capacity. So the constant lower output is enough. If you're always starting with a cold building, or open large doors and need recovery often, you may need the full output which you aren't going to get reduced to 6 unless the connector pipe and chimney is just right.