considering EKO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, we vented every third truss if I remember right.

ihookem said:
Yes, we vented every third truss if I remember right.
Why couldn't you vent every truss? Do you have ridge vent or gable vent? When I first bought this house eave vents were only on every third truss but after one summer, I decided that was inadequate. I re-worked my house last summer and actually removed and replaced my trusses to create a steeper pitch roof in order to add a full length porch on the front of the house. It now has full length venting on the 16 inch overhang and fully vented porch ceiling and a ridge vent.

Yes, we also have ridge vent on the top of the roof. It is a hip roof so it doesn't go all the way across the whole building but should be plenty.

I agree that with the proper wood burning schedule and turning down/up of thermostats at selected times that a very well insulated house may be able to be heated with a gasifier without storage. However, I am a busy person and both my wife and I have full time day jobs and thus are never home to put wood in the effecta lambda boiler until evening.

Thus, with my 3,000 sq. ft home that was built in 1994, it sure is nice to be able to come home in the evening, eat dinner and then start a fire in the boiler around 6 or 7 pm. Before I go to bed I put another smaller load in and I'm done with the boiler until the next evening. In addition, in the late fall and early spring (which can be several months) the water storage allows me to make a fire once every other day or so. And once summer comes around I am making a fire once per 5-6 days to take care of my DHW.

With my entire gasifier system cost running around 10K (including storage), the storage cost was less than 20% of the entire system cost and should last many, many years without problems (propane tanks are almost 1/4" thick on the shell and 3/8" on the ends).

Thus, in my ROI calculations I liked the idea of being able to use my investment 12 months out of the year and only having to operate/burn the effecta lambda boiler a maximum of once per day in the winter and even less often the remainder of the year, thus allowing me to spend my time doing other things.

But, as can be seen from the many posts on this subject, there are several different ways a gasifier system can be operated- as the old saying goes "to each his own".

NWM

10 k is a very good price. I got 9500 in mine but it's outside. 120' from the house. I don't think storage will cost all that much more than if I'd have done it right away. I still don't understand storage though. I guess my question is does it have a heating coil in it to heat the water in the tank? Or does all the water in the storage get circulated. I ask cause I would need a much bigger pump wouldn't I? I still don't know where to get a tank to fit in the door to get into the basement. I don't want it outside cause I'd have to make another outbuilding. If I keep it in the basement the heat loss is no big deal.

ihookem said:
10 k is a very good price. I got 9500 in mine but it's outside. 120' from the house. I don't think storage will cost all that much more than if I'd have done it right away. I still don't understand storage though. I guess my question is does it have a heating coil in it to heat the water in the tank? Or does all the water in the storage get circulated. I ask cause I would need a much bigger pump wouldn't I? I still don't know where to get a tank to fit in the door to get into the basement. I don't want it outside cause I'd have to make another outbuilding. If I keep it in the basement the heat loss is no big deal.

Hi ihookem - I dont have these, but here is one way to get it through the door: in small pieces. Check out http://www.americansolartechnics.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.