Constantly running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bosoxguy67

Jan 29, 2019
Massachusetts
Open somebody out here can help me, My cab 50 will not shut down, Turn the thermostat all the way down and it just keeps feeding and running constantly, Unplugged it and plugged it back in and it does the same thing, changed the thermostat tonight, and it still does not respond, Any help would be greatly appreciated

Does red heat call light turn off when thermostat is turned off? If not then there may be a short circuit in thermostat, or wiring. Try unplugging one of 2 wires on back of stove and see if red light turns off. Report back with results please for more tips

Does red heat call light turn off when thermostat is turned off? If not then there may be a short circuit in thermostat, or wiring. Try unplugging one of 2 wires on back of stove and see if red light turns off. Report back with results please for more tips
Thank you so much for the quick reply, So I just Disconnected one of the wires like you said and the read call light did turn off, And it seems as though in a stopped dropping pellets now

Great. You must have a faulty thermostat (stuck contacts, or failed electronics) or a short in the wiring between stove and thermostat. Thankfully it's not the stove's fault so will be cheap to fix.

Reactions: kappel15
Spend $15 on a cheap thermostat and wire at a big box store (Lowes, HD, etc), or trouble shoot your existing setup with a multi-meter to see if the thermostat or wire is the issue. Basically looking for where the wire is shorted, or whether the thermostat contacts are opening or not.

If you don't have a meter, then maybe try something as simple as disconnecting thermostat, if call light is still on the the short circuit is with the wire somewhere. If light doesn't stay on, then maybe find a short piece of wire (like a foot long) and hook up your existing thermostat, if light stays on then something is wrong with the meter. All this takes time, so maybe just spend a little bit of $ instead, up to you.

Well yesterday I disconnected the wire from the thermostat itself and the call light didn't go off and it kept dropping pellets, This morning I disconnected the Thermostat wire from the back of the stove and the call light Went out and it stopped

Issue is within your wire somewhere. Probably in a kinked section, or on end at stove side (specially if its braided wire and not solid.)

It's solid but it's really thin and seems kind of cheap, It's the wire that came with the stove when I got it new, Is there any particular wire I should Try?

Thank you so much for all the help, I'm going to try to pick up some wire tonight and try it, will let you know how it works out, Sorry to be such a pain lol, but this thing is driving me crazy

Are you sure you are wiring the thermostat correctly?

yea i think so lol, I was under the impression that it didn't matter which side of the wire when on which screw,what way is correct? Also can you use any Thermostat With these stoves?

yea i think so lol, I was under the impression that it didn't matter which side of the wire when on which screw,what way is correct? Also can you use any Thermostat With these stoves?
2 wires,can be hooked up either way.Ideally,old mercury thermostats are the most trouble free,but now illegal.Alow voltage Tstat is best,millivolt Tstat is the best.But,as long as you wire it properly,almost any t/stat will work,lots of people run pellet stoves on programmable T/stats.The quality of the contacts in the stats is the key,along with wiring it properly,as new stats are made to work with many devices.A Tstat is mostly just an on/off switch.Hope this helps.One of my pellet stoves runs off a Empire DV35 propane heater Tstat.

I just got home when the wire getting ready to change it now, The stove is unplug so I'm guessing I need to keep the thermostat at the lowest setting put on the new Wire and plug in the stove?

I just got home when the wire getting ready to change it now, The stove is unplug so I'm guessing I need to keep the thermostat at the lowest setting put on the new Wire and plug in the stove?
Unplug stove(this prevents static discharge from damaging something),run wire,install T/stat,plug in stove,turn on/turn up stat,however your manual says to do a start up.

OK, all wired up plugged it in the Fan is running the call light is off with the thermostat at the lowest setting, I will turn up the thermostat as soon as the fan cycle stops crossing my fingers

I don't wanna count my chickens too soon, But I think we got it! Fan cycle stopped I turned up the thermostat it started dropping pellets and his firing up! Now just to see if it shuts off when it reaches temperature

Well So the stove seemed to be working properly last night I had a long day and fell asleep before I could see if it shut off when it got up to temperature, and it ran out of pellets so I don't know yet if it shuts off when it reaches temperature, will find out tonight lol