Control board with thermostat upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance1

Nov 12, 2008
I was looking to upgrade my control board so I can use a thermostat for a P23. I download the instructions first to see how it worked and to my disappointment it only auto adjust the feed rate only between two feed rates instead of all four feed rates. It also adjust the room blower to low settings automatically where I want the blower always on high. Are all control board this limited?

Also it was not clear in the instructions if the stove could be turned on/off via thermostat with a timer.

Basically I want the stove to turn on via timer, run at the highest till it reaches set point, then auto switch to the lowest setting or better ramp down thought the feed rates, all with room blower always on high. Are there controllers that run like this? The auger is 1RPM and I can re-wire the stove to fit the controller.

If you want a stove that ramps heat output you need one that has a sensing system and that is not one with a normal t-stat on it.

"Standard" controllers give you several modes of operation when on a t-stat.

They are high/low sometimes called high/keep fire mode these allow you to select the high mode feed setting from among those available on the controller, they always use the stoves lowest firing rate for low or keep fire mode.

Then there is the on/off mode which allows you to select the firing rate the stove will run at when the t-stat calls for heat as soon as the t-stat is satisfied the stove will enter shutdown.

Then we have the "manual" mode where the t-stat is bypassed and you determine how the stove fires by pressing the buttons.

There is also a version of controller that will do the high/low mode with a twist, the twist being after so long in low fire the stove enters shutdown.

You can do what ever you please with your system just remember that once you modify it you have issues in the area of code, insurance, warranty, and safety listing.

There are several controlers that use sensing systems to control firing rates you'll find these on Harmans, Pleasant Hearth, and likely several others.

I was looking to upgrade my control board so I can use a thermostat for a P23. I download the instructions first to see how it worked and to my disappointment it only auto adjust the feed rate only between two feed rates instead of all four feed rates. It also adjust the room blower to low settings automatically where I want the blower always on high. Are all control board this limited?

Also it was not clear in the instructions if the stove could be turned on/off via thermostat with a timer.

Basically I want the stove to turn on via timer, run at the highest till it reaches set point, then auto switch to the lowest setting or better ramp down thought the feed rates, all with room blower always on high. Are there controllers that run like this? The auger is 1RPM and I can re-wire the stove to fit the controller.

Breckwells have a tiny burnpot and many of the controls that might work over feed it to the point of over flowing and might cause a back up.

Of the controls with the molex connector I see out there, all thats available run off stats. They do not run off timers that control the a/c power. Once a/c power is lost they go to default which is the lowest setting and the only way to raise it is to manual adjust the heat level on the controller. Stick to controlling the stat circuit so the board has power. FWIW a programmable stat can act like a timer. And probably your best bet.

The Napoleon NPS45 controller has potential, But I cannot recommend swapping as it will void the stoves UL listing and all the yadda yadda stuff! Probably safer in the laong run to just sell the breckwell and invest in a stove that has the features you are looking for! Just my 2 cents worth.

If your looking for that much control you may have to go to an import. The Italians are doing just about everything you want. Just can't adapt the 73 Chevy truck with manual choke to a Chevy Volt with Iphone app.

A gas furnace runs similar as I'm looking for in a pellet stove control. I'm surprised pellet stove controllers are not capable of the same. I really didn't want to, but looks like I have to design and build my own controller. I don't want to replace the stove for a controller, it's still very solid even being close to 20 years old. I just want it fully automatic with an on timer.

Not sure I have seen a stove that has an on timer. If there is one, You might be able to swap ot the controller, But what's involved is another story!

IMHO the on timer could be the programmable stat. Set the temp lower than the house can get and the stove will stay off until the programmed time chance takes place. Off while away on when you need it to be one. If the breckwell starts that is! Not as dependable as most think.

Status
Not open for further replies.