Control box testing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoFish

Mar 20, 2019
Castle Rock CO
Quadrafire CB1200 Freestanding, built 1999. I've owned for 6 years, inherited it in pretty good shape, have replaced just about every mechanical part on it. End of last winter, started having issues with control box not giving me red/green thermocouple signals sometimes. Sometimes wouldn't pick up after start, and sometimes just shut down after running for a while. Tested thermocouple with a torch, it is working. Went ahead and sprung for new thermocouple to be sure, same torch test, same results so I have two good working thermocouples. Just pulled the unit out for annual going-through, and test fire I have zero green/red in the box. Will start a fire when prompted by thermostat, stove is working fantastic, but cannot get it to pick up and keep going. I did replace this control box 4 years ago, so that's irritating. Is it worth driving 2 hours to the dealer to see if they can bench test it, or do I just suck it up and fork over $300 again for a new one? I don't know any other way to test here. FYI, I did test thermocouple voltage right to the connector pins where the box plugs in, voltage is getting to the control box.

Just looking for opinions or any ideas here. Or maybe an excuse to avoid that drive. Thanks.